Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

85 K20 Burb-Project

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zopilote, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Zopilote

Zopilote Registered Member

Howdy-I am the proud owner of a former USFS 1985 K20 Suburban, 350, 4 speed manual, 4.10, 40 gal tank, no fancy stuff. I bought the green machine with 70,000 miles and since the purchase in 1994, I have put 225,000 on it. At least 80,000+ on nasty(read awesome) mountain and desert roads/trails. Only cost $5,000 back then. I have since replaced the clutch once, a steering box, an alternator, a power steering pump, a starter and a couple of brake replacements, so it has been a relatively inexpensive daily driver.
    I know that sometime in the next 50-75K miles, a new engine might be in order. I am wanting to put some gauges to replace the idiot lights, perhaps put some carpet in for comfort, and maybe, just maybe, get rid of some of the rust.
    Anyone had experience in hogging out the idiot lights on the dash and replacing them with 2 5/8 water temp, oil pressure and voltmeter gauges? Also looking for some minor mods to the fuel system like a carb spacer. When I end up needing the engine, I am contemplating an overdrive. Been a really good truck and I want to keep it running for as long as possible. Any thoughts? Zopilote

2. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

i don't have anything to add except welcome. you'll find more info here than you can imagine.

3. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

a dude i know at orielly put soem gauges in his 82 crew cab, and well, it looks pretty queer. he may have just done a bad job but they stick out way to much and dont match anything in the inside and theyre crooked not like the stock ones that are flat then the bezel angle.
    IMO its ugly

4. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I got some pics it's not to hard really the hardest part was finding a 2-5/8 hole say not very common