Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

85 k5 brakelines

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pvt. Maggot, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Pvt. Maggot

Pvt. Maggot 1/2 ton status

Sep 27, 2005
    Hey guys,

Just wondering for anyone who has redone their entire brakelines, exactly how much you needed to do the job, I don't want to buy more or not have enough, also, should I wait to do the brakelines after I do a body lift or will it not effect anything, thanks alot!

2. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

Sep 22, 2002
    I've done all the hard lines on my 87. Can't find the bill's but if I recall it was about $50 for all the lines plus a simple bender. just measure each one with a tape and write the various lengths down and head to NAPA or where ever you get your stuff. Check your bleeders first to be sure you can bleed the system. Wheel cylinders are another 12-15 $ each extra plus another hour, calipers are another $20 each maybe and quick to swap out.
  3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Dec 28, 2001
    If you can afford it, I would purchase a stainless steel pre-bent set. $200, fits perfect, never rust again. Being that you live in PA.
    If one could find decent brake line in an auto parts store, mabey I wouldn't be so fast on the stainless, but living in the rustbelt, auto store lines can rust through in as little as a year. Believe me, I know. I did the lines on my '86 with the cheapy auto store lines, I even shopped around to find them painted. a year a couple months later, one burst. Rusted clean through. The OEM steel lines lasted 20 years, the steel auto store lines, 1. I think the OEM's were at least galenized or treated or something, but I've never had good luck with an auto store brake line here in MI. I've used many of them when I was poor, on crappy cars I had when I was younger, and would replace several a few times over a few years. It was always a chore.
    $200, a stainless steel set, never think about it again. Plus they are pre-bent, flared, ready to install.
    YOu can get from many places, I would recommend
    I've bought 2 sets from them, for the K5 (which isn't done yet), and my '865 C10 daily driver, both installed perfectly. I've also bought brake cables from them, had them custom made for same price as ones they already have a template for. Great people to work with, they know their brake stuff. Well worth the dough if you ask me.
    also sells.
    If you do go the DIY way, make sure to get a good double-flaring tool, the cheap ones hack up the end of the line and that's not something you want compromised.
  4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Jul 24, 2003

I agree with your thoughts on cheap ready made brake lines at parts stores..lucky to get 1-2 years out of them here too!--I feel they should mandate stainless steel brake an fuel lines on ALL vehicles,at least those in states exposed to road salt in winter..:mad: what would it cost GM,another 100 bucks per car??..I have issues with fuel tank sending units rotting out in 5 years too,that cost up to 500 bucks to replace!..whoever designed them sould be SHOT!..:mad:

I've found that the ROLLS of tubing that come in 20-25' lengths are MUCH thicker than the "pre made" ones,and are galvanized heavily--more like OEM!..its a pain to cut and flare every peice,but you can run ONE length to the rear wheels instead of coupling several pre-made lines together..its not that expensive either--I recently bought a 20' roll for about 20 bucks..

I find its better to go with the rolls for another reason..many times the OEM fittings GM uses are different than the ones that come on the ready made lines,and you have to hunt all over hell to find the proper (and costly ) brass adapter dewhicky to make them fit!...

I just cut off the old tube close to the fitting,and use a 6 point socket to remove it,being careful not to muck it up--then use a drill or punch to get the remains of the old line out,and use it over again...learned this the hard way on sunday,when NO stores were open that had those adapters...:doah:
  5. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Dec 21, 2005
    I live in a road-salt state, and I enthusiastically agree with the stainless steel hard lines suggestions. It's just cheaper in the long run, and you buy peace of mind.