Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

85 k5 HEI ignition

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bamurf80, Jul 4, 2006.

1. bamurf80

bamurf80 Newbie

I have an 85 k5 that dones not have any spark to the plugs. I have replaced everything in the dist. i am getting power to the coil but no power to the 4 wires in the rear of the dist. Could it be the ECM under the dash on the pass. side that is not giving it power and allowing it to spark?

Any help would be great
    thanks
    Bamurf80

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Are you sure you replaced EVERYTHING in the distributor? Did you replace the pick-up coil? In order to replace it you must remove the distributor and completely take it apart. If this part fails you won't get any spark to the plugs just the same as when the module goes bad.

3. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My 85 did the same thing, and I jumpered two of the wires of the 4. The ECM was bad, and not letting the signal back to the dist. If its the same as mine (85C20) all it does is control the spark timing (retard for spark knock) I just jumpered the two wires and set my timing old school.

4. bamurf80

bamurf80 Newbie

Which two wires did you jump? And when you say jumpered what exactly do you mean buy that?

Sorry for all the dumb questions. I am new to this kinda thing

Thanks
    Bamurf80