Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

85 K5 - Replacing Tcase - What is best way to go?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Greeality, Dec 21, 2006.

1. K5Greeality

K5Greeality Registered Member

I am in the planning stage of a build up for mild trail and some dd...still pretty new to K5's.

I have a 305 motor but will replace with 350.

Has manual trans - 4WD not working....thinking Tcase.

For my needs what is best setup with 350 motor??? Trans, Tcase, difs?

Thanks!

2. K5Greeality

Oooops 83 not 85

Don't know if that makes a difference, but....

3. Brodie

Brodie 1/2 ton status

If you aren't doing anything real extreme, a 208 will hold up just fine.

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

You must be from Greeley.

If so, there was an 87 burb at Anderson's with a 465/208 combo you could grab the 208 from. It's been about a month, so I don't know for 100% it's still there.

As far as recommendations, we'd need to know a lot more about what you have planned for use; street only, street/trail, primary trail/some street, full trail/trailered rig, hardcore trails, easy FSR type stuff, etc

5. Just4Fun

Just4Fun Registered Member

get someone to drive your truck slowly and carefully... lock your hubs, try it in all 4wd positions and see if the front drive shaft is turning. If it is, then most likely it's your front end needs attention. could be your hubs that are shot. I had a set of warn premium hubs get so old the spring in the outer cap that locks them in rusted out. when they deteriorated they actually slipped in and out of 4wd bucking the truck like something else major was wrong... then there was no more 4wd until i replaced the bad cap.. good luck

6. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Well on the T-case and trans I would say go with the Np205. But I kinda lucked out on mine. I got a low milage '79 Np205 from a friend for free. Just need to drop my new tranny and get it gutted so I can replace the output shaft. grrrr.
    Now on the engine I would go with a 330HP 350 long block from Napa. I have one that my step dad bought like 3 years ago. It still has low miles. This engine is the best engine I have ever had or seen. Granted I have done work to it. But it has seen it's fair share of abuse. I believe he paid around 1,500 for the long block.

7. K5Greeality

Thanks...Turned out to be hubs!

Appreciate the help!