Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

85 K5 towing a boat.

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by SF87K5, May 2, 2004.

1. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

I have a '85 K5 that has a '90 350 TBI and a 8 lug 10 bolt front and a 14 bolt FF rear with a detroit locker. I will have a SM465/NP205 tranny combo in two weeks and a 4" front springs and a echobit rear shackle flip. I will be running 36" TSL radials or 38.5 SX's with 4.10 or 4.56 gears.

Hear is my questions, do you think I can tow a 19' boat and trailer with this combo in my K5? The trailer comes with brakes also. Or is there anything I can do different so I can?

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Could ya tow it? Yes. However, having similiar specs (flip, stock springs, 35" tires) i would say that its not a matter of if you can tow it, but whether or not it will tow safely. The shackle flip makes the rear really soft, and unless your front is equally as soft... the whole truck will bounce around in the rear, especially given the tongue weight. Id seriously consider a weight distribution hitch setup. But im not really sure how that works with surge type brakes.

3. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

If need be I can just go with 4" rear springs and not do the shackle flip. I will be leaving the sway bar on becouse of the boat.

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

If I were you, I'd do the springs- Not as good flex as the flip, but at least you know that you'd be replacing all the bushings as well. AS for the front sways, Definately keep them on if your towing. Unless you get super stiff front springs, you might be able to forgo them. I personally like having them though.

5. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Can anyone else give me some more insight on this?

6. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

I'd go with rear springs if you will be towing often. You should try to find a rear sway bar. My 84 K5 came with a rear sway bar in the tow package. I've still got it actually, and the pieces used to attach it to the axle tubes.

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Hey, dude, just noticed, you swapped to a 14bff? You lucky... !@# /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyways, if the boat trailer comes with surge brakes, it makes it slightly more difficult to use weight distributing hitches, as the trunnion (sp?) bars that come out from the hitch unit that connects to the trailer would consistantly be changing locations.
    Dunno what tongue weight you have either. Shackle flips are kinda weird for towing. If you have vague or any signs of bump steer, towing generally makes it worse. There are some people who have had no problems doing it, but I always seem to get it.

8. blaznjon

blaznjon 1/2 ton status

I have 76k5 with 6"t.c.springs O.R.D. shakle flip 21/2"t.c. I`ve towed equipment trailer with surge brakes and bobcat on it.With sway bar hooked up and weight centered it`s not all that bad.My buddy down the street has same setup,except it`s kinda scary when he tows it.Never ben able to figure that one out.JB

9. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info from everyone. I did some calling and got some trailer and tongue weight on the boat I am looking at.

The boat and trailer loaded ready to go in the water is about 3,800lbs - 4,000lbs. With a tongue weight of 140lbs - 180lbs.

I already have the lift and everything but the gears and locker. So I hope I can tow this boat with my K5. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif If not I might have to kiss up to the wife. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

10. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

If your K5 is running and driving now why not call whoever is selling the boat and ask if you can take it for a test drive/tow to see how your K5 handles?

11. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Dont get me wrong, your k5 will "Tow" just fine. The handle department is what has made me pucker on the seat fabric more than once, hence why I got the anti sway and weight distribution hitch. BTW, You might be able to get away with just an airbag setup for the rear springs- Your tongue weight is quite low (140lbs?) Just make sure you get everything nice and flat, between your truck and trailer.

If the rear bobs at all ( mine does, the front is way stiffer than the back is)consider air bags , or weight distribution.

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for the info from everyone. I did some calling and got some trailer and tongue weight on the boat I am looking at.

The boat and trailer loaded ready to go in the water is about 3,800lbs - 4,000lbs. With a tongue weight of 140lbs - 180lbs.

I already have the lift and everything but the gears and locker. So I hope I can tow this boat with my K5. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif If not I might have to kiss up to the wife. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey that boat is nothing.
    I consider myself very conservative , I drive the speed limits when towing and I have a similar boat 19' with a big block inboard engine, on a single axle non braked trailer, and I don't feel it behind the blazer, hell my buddy towed it behind his nissan Xterra and it was fine.
    I wouldn't worry much about it even with the shackle flip, unless you went with really soft springs.
    If you used the stock springs you should be fine.
    Just like a lot of people said, make sure you keep it level so adjust you hitch hight.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif