Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

85 Manual Rear Window Lock?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by WhiteOut, Feb 13, 2001.

1. WhiteOut

WhiteOut Newbie

Last night when I tried to remove the key from the tailgate lock, the key core came out. I managed to reinsert the core but now the window will not go down. It is also very easy to remove the core, I just have to turn the key a little and it slides right out. Did I insert the core properly? or do I need to replace the core?
    Thanks!

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Pretty sure the "core" is retained like the door locks. A spring clip that slides between two tangs and the inside of the tailgate sheetmetal. Easy to fix, once you get to it. The clip probably fell off or broke. I feel your pain. After spending a whole day wiring in my electric tailgate, with all the proper soldering,and re-keying the lock cylinder, yesterday it decides it no longer wants to work. Lucky me, get to tear it down as far as you do : )

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

3. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

there is a dawg and spring combo that locks the cylinder in place inside the crank handle. GM carries these for about $6.00 they'll need to be ordered. you'll have to remove everything from the tailgate unbolt your crank handle and take it inside where it's warm and dry, and a place that is clean enough that when the spring takes to flying you'll be able to find it again. It is quite difficult to explain how the set goes together so what I did is went through the process on a few dry runs to learn how the system works and what part the dawg and spring play in the whoole deal. you need to get it right the first time because without cutting the spring somehow it'll never come apart until it wears out.
    the spring slides into a hole in the dawg then they slide into a groove that locks the cylinder in place.
    if you need any more help contact me personally I just replaced my whole assembly late last year.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>