Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

85' rolloff GVWR ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kgillyk5, Nov 17, 2006.

1. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

1985 ROLL OFF
    not perfect, work horse, strong winch, 460/V8, runs excel, inspected 07/06, $3800 B/O
    [​IMG]

Anyone know the GVWR of this beast?..my NYS class D is good up to 26,000 lbs.

Anything I should be aware of when looking at a 460 w/ roll off, how big of a $$$ pit could this thing be? Looking to be able to recover 2 cars at a time, haul a racecar or move a full-size truck when needed.

Thanks guys.

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Depends if it's a C40, 50 or 60.

Donno 'bout newer ones, but in the 70's, a C60 was ~24K GVWR, except for tandems (which this ain't), so I'm thinking you're okay regardless.

I keep dreaming about getting a CDL, and a truck like this ... that's what I need, more projects =))

-- A

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

heavy chevy!..

I have a friend with a similar 1975 GMC C-6500 series ramp truck--its GVW is 32,000 lbs..but his has a diesel (a detroit I think)--there isn't much he cant carry or tow with it!...they came in several different GVW ratings..you may be able to register it for less than its rated total GVW and get away with it...:crazy:

4. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

There will be a tag, usually on the driver door or b-pillar with the GVWR.
    I believe the single rear axle never were above 26000, so you should be good.

5. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info guys. I'm debating between a dump+10K trailer or a rolloff. Can you get a dump box for a rolloff? That way I can get my new driveway in and still have the rolloff for recovery ...all in one vehicle.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

They have..

You can buy a "dump insert" body for pickup beds--no reason why you couldnt use a similar setup on a ramp truck..I know more than one guy who's put stake pockets on his ramp trucks bed, and made wooden sideboards to haul hay and dirt on their farms too..maybe a roll off dumpster would made a serviceable dump body??...:crazy: