Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

85k5blazer transfer case shifter wont stay in gear ???help please

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by maxxtraxxk5freak, Dec 10, 2000.

1. maxxtraxxk5freak

maxxtraxxk5freak Newbie

i have a 85 k5 blazer ,rebuilt transfer case and it kicks it's self out of 4hi after a block or so 4lo is fine .
    if i hold it in 4hi it stayes in gear fine and know bad sounds coming from transfercase.
    i think i have a np208...all i can tell it look like the shifter linkage has a retaining spring and it layes against the shifter arm pushing it toward the left side . witch looks like out of 4hi into 2 hi ????(i think?)checked the chilton books but no diagrams??? and ideas?????

p.s what's it usaly cost to repair a gas tank and install ?

2. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

If you have a body lift, then the hole in you floor pan may not be big enough and when the body flexes it is knocking the shifter back into 2hi. Take the Shift boot off and put it in 4hi and watch it while driving if the floor pan hits it then that is your problem

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

3. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

also check out your linkage rods,,,you may need to adjust it!!!
    gas tank,,,hhhmmmmmm,,,,if it just has a hole in it then take it out,,,empty ALL the gas out of it,,fill it up completely with water and then braze it shut...try to get the hole up top so that no water will get into it while you are brazing,,it will make a nicer job that way...

P.S. rinse it out a couple of times with water to make sure there is no gas left in it!!!!

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Well what do you know!! I just did this today. It was freezin cold out today, and dark as a... well you know. I installed a 3" bodylift early in the summer and it looked like it would be alright. But when I tested it for real the other day it wouldn't stay in 4x4. I just took of the linkage from the stick to the t-case. Put each lever where they were suposed to be and adjusted the linkage to the correct lenght.(It was only a mather of 4-5 turns on the adjuster) Now it holds like it's suposed to again. If you dont have a bodylift I would say something got up there and bent the linkage a litle...

http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com