Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

86 1/2 Ton Truck

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FullPackage, Mar 18, 2006.

1. FullPackage

FullPackage Newbie

I have an 86 GMC 4 x 4,1/2 ton truck that is completly stock with a 350 engine.
    I want to either trade out the motor or rebuild it. I can do the work myself but I am unsure of what to match up for the internals. I am pretty sure the carb is a Holley Economaster. I want to pull a camp trailer with it also. I live in California so it must pass smog.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

what excatly are u wanting help w/?

if u are not putting high performance heads on it, or a power adder, i would just build it back stock.

if u must do something to upgrade bottum end, just put some low end aftermarket rods w/ kb pistons, i would build it stock though. maybe add a towing cam. get it balancedi think it makes a big difference even on stock engines.

3. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

"I live in California so it must pass smog" You need to keep it stock for this reason.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What's a "holley economaster"?

Don't feel like looking it up, ok, change of thought, looked it up, 450CFM carb.

What is your main complaint as to why it needs rebuilt? Regardless of the comments I saw on ebay where one was for sale, those carbs look like pieces of junk. Like GM didn't know what they were doing installing a Quadrajet on their vehicles for 25 years lol.

If it's power, or the way it runs, I'd seriously consider dumping that carb and going to an emissions legal quadrajet. Need to make sure that is what your truck came with, (should have been the 4 barrel Q-jet) but I see no way in heck that Holley carb should pass CA smog, as your '86 if CA destined from the factory most certainly came with CCC, as the emissions label on the core support should prove.

However, if your truck WAS CCC, and now has a non-CCC carb on it, you might be missing a whole bunch of the wiring and vacuum lines that system needs, which would be painful to reinstall. Nonetheless, as anal as CA is about emissions, as far as modifying whats there, I would think that to be about your only choice, unless you are in one of the counties that apparently don't emissions test.