Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

86 1500 Emission Removal. Start The Debate!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pontiacratrod, Feb 27, 2007.

1. pontiacratrod

pontiacratrod Registered Member

I Am Planning On Tearing Off The Emissions Crap On My 2wd 1986 Gmc 1500 Burban This Weekend, And Wanted To Make Damn Sure That I Got All The Bases Covered To Prevent Something Not Working Out. First Off, They Did Away With The Testing Of Pre 95 Vehicles In My Area Plus Im Running Cats Still So If They Did Bring It Back I Would Be Fine With A Properly Tuned Carb.

Now... The Carb Is Junk. Ive Got A Late 70's Quadrajet And Hei Vacuum Advance Distributor Layin Around, So I Thought I Would Swap Em Out. Of The Few Things I Was Thinking Might Be A Problem Is The Transmission. It Is A 700 Overdrive Unit. Im Pretty Sure If A Leave Well Enough Alone And Dont Start Yanking Wires From It I Will Be Okay, Cause Alot Of People Have Told Me That The Pre 87 Trucks Come With A Solenoid Operated Lock Up.

So As Long As I Make Sure The Tv Cable Is Properly Set Up And I Make Sure I Block All Of The Open Lines In The Vacuum Circuit I Should Be Rockin And Rollin Right?

Any And All Feedback From Anyone Who Have Done This Please Shout At Me.
    Thanks...
    Bob

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

3. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

If your 700 doesn't have vacuum controls then it won't have any ports to plug. Even so, if it does need vacuum your distributor needs it as well so you'll have it anyway.

4. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

The only vacuum controlled item on your 700 is the lock up clutch. There is a low vacuum switch located on the firwall, usually near the brake MC. This switch ulocks the TC at high engine loads (low vac). There is also a little delay valve in front of the switch (looks like a check valve). The switch is connected to full manifold vacuum.

Just a a little FYI:
    You can actually adjust how much delay there is before the TC unlocks by changing the length of vacuum hose between the delay valve and the switch; longer hose, longer delay, shorter hose, shorter delay.

5. pontiacratrod

pontiacratrod Registered Member

let me just make sure i follow....
    so basically if i dont mess with the vacuum switch or anything related to the trans and just swap out the distributer and carb and set up the tv cable correctly on the carb, and make sure that there are no vacuum leaks after i remove the emissions componants, then all the bases should be covered?

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Your 70's Quadrajet if later 70's will have the same throttle linkage and everything as your computer carb . NO TV adjustment needed . Just replace carb .

Worked for me .

7. FightinTXag

FightinTXag 1/2 ton status

Wait, are we sure he has a computer carb? Did all 86s get computer carbs or just Cali trucks? My 85 non-Cal truck is a regular Q-Jet.

If your current carb in non-computer, then I'm not sure that the late-70s Q-jet is going to be any different than your stocker. I think you've got to back into the early 70s to get one pre-APT, and whether those versions offer any more performance is debatable since the APT only helps fine tune the idle/off-idle at part throttle settings.

If you're chunking your computer controlled carb for a regular Q-jet, then by all means proceed.

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I don't know about 85 but in 86 all the 1/2 tons I have seen are CCC, I am in CA granted but not all trucks here are CA trucks, I do have however an 86 HD 3/4 ton and it has a regular Carb and regular distributor, just like my 76 jimmy, no change at all, except AIR of course, but no CAT.

9. FightinTXag

FightinTXag 1/2 ton status

Cars are a different story, but I don't think I've ever seen a CCC truck here. Everything in the junkyards (that still have the fuel metering apparatus) is either regular Q-Jet or TBI. I got a replacement cruise control servo off an '86 1/2 ton with a regular Q-Jet at the local Pick-n-Pull.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

CCC was a CA only deal. You rarely seem them outside of there.

There are carb applications on trucks (454's IIRC) at least until 1989, granted, most were TBI though.