Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'86 454 fuel inj.?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5Glazier, Apr 1, 2004.

1. K5Glazier

K5Glazier 1/2 ton status

\'86 454 fuel inj.?

Is this engine TBI or other. The guy says its fuel injected. Thinking of swapping into my '90 blazer. This 454 is coming out of an '86 suburban. What do you guys think?
    Thanks, /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif later
    Joe

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

Re: \'86 454 fuel inj.?

ive seen some 86 305s that were tbi from the factory. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Full size chevy trucks didn't get FI until 87. S10 stuff got FI in 86. It could be it was added later.

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Could be a truck made in 1986 for the 1987 model year; some states register older vehicles by year of manufacture, not "model year". Run the VIN to be sure.

-- A

5. K5Glazier

K5Glazier 1/2 ton status

I just talked to another guy who also has a '86 sub. His is carbed. He mentioned that this one I'm interested in, may be the "cross-fire injected". Anyone know if I can adapt this to my 90 blazer without mass confusion? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Joe

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

AFAIK crossfire injection is a SBC thing meaning it has 2 TBI units that are staggard and are pieces of crap not worthy to have even ever been made.

7. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Uhh, last I checked the factory FI is a throttle body on the trucks, no other possibility. The cross-fire thing was on Vettes and maybe F-bodies?

Post the VIN or decode it yourself, we'll find out for sure what it is / what engine it had at the factory.

-- A

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Not meaning to hijack this post but Cross fire inj aint that bad if you put a newer style TBI ECM on it. It was the early attempt at computer control that made it so crappy. plug a later model ECM on and a good chip and they run quite well and are reliable up to 450 hp.

As for the fuel injected 86 Sub..maby it has a Holley Projection kit on it. if so it is not adaptable to a 90 TBI

9. K5Glazier

K5Glazier 1/2 ton status

Went to check on this 454. The drivers door has been changed, so no vin #, dash is thrasded, no vin#. Took the air cleaner off and vola! TBI. Only draw back is the guy claims it only has 58000 mi., but can't verify. Engine started right up and sounded healthy. Guy wants $1100 for the engine or $2000 for the whole thing. Nothing good to part out except 14bff and the T400. Decisions decisions. Its an '86 3/4 ton 2wd suburban. Thanks for the replys. any other comments. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Joe

10. velocitiii

velocitiii Registered Member

No VIN? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Sounds Hot /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

That's a lot of money for an engine even if you did get all the computer stuff. AND it does sound like it's a stolen vehicle, I'd stay away. (trust me it's hard to stay away!)

12. K5Glazier

K5Glazier 1/2 ton status

Guy said that the engine was swapped into the sub, so a vin# would'nt have told me anything. He did tell me that he did have it inspected by MVD but that they would'nt give him a title due to only being able to read one vin# and MVD requires two for a new title. He is willing to give me a "bill of sales". I don't think he is going anywhere soon as he has probably 40 other vehicles on his property. I do apreciate your concerns and your heads-up. I decided to let this go and gave the the info to another member who is interested. I'm back to plan 1 (stroker), mainly because I"ve already have invested in parts. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif for all your replies.
    Joe

13. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I like the stroker idea better anyways. A big block is badass but a small block that puts out as many ponies as a big block is badasser /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif