Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

86 blazer engine swap/emissions?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AntAZBlaz, Jul 8, 2003.

1. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

I'm getting ready to do my engine swap and I had a few questions. I getting ready to do my engine swap and I had a few questions. I'm trying to identify an engine part and need to know about an electrical connection on the carb.

http://www.public.asu.edu/~antyk/help.html

king

2. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

Re: 86 blazer engine parts identification game.

1st one is the smog pump, second is the mixture control soilnoid on the carb.

3. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

do i need that mixture control on the new carb in order for this to work correctly? or is there a way to work around it? thanks

king

4. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

no, its just controlled by a sensor in the thermostat neck. pretty much leans up the mixture as the engine gets warmer. with a new carb you can just remove the wires and your set.

5. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Just a warning, IF you are in an area that does SMOG checks, you will fail without that carb. The Mixture Control Solinoid is a computer driven part that directly effects the emissions!

Also, are you removing all computer driven emission parts? If not you will never get the SES light off. If you are removing everything, then you won't have to worry about the light, just the fine IF the EPA finds out (don't think I ever heard of it though).

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Sorry to say it, but you screwed yourself.

Thats a CCC setup, you've got to replace your distributor too.

7. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

I do live in an area that does smog checks so now I’m getting concerned. I’m replacing the engine, and the carburetor. I know that might computer is not working 100% because before I started this project they could not read the computer error codes.

Do I have to keep the computer in order to pass emissions?

I picked out this carburetor thinking that it was the correct one to replace my current one. Does anyone know if there is an Edelbrock replacement for my 86 set up that would also match the needs of a new 383?

alec78 what’s the SES light?

dyeager535 what’s a CCC setup? I ordered a new distributor with the engine. I got Summit Blueprinted HEI Distributors model SUM-850001R. Do you know if this will work out with the new engine and carburetor?

Thanks for all the help I’m a babe in the woods when it comes to the emissions and which parts replace which with this engine swap.

king

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you have to pass a visual inspection, there is no way you can get rid of the setup that is on your engine now.

CCC stands for Computer Controlled Carburetor (or other variations along those lines) meaning that the computer manages mixture and ignition. It's not the best system, but was the last iteration of the Q-jet before the carbed V8 died in passenger cars and trucks in 1990.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the setup, except that there is little "hop up" stuff offered for it. It attempts to maintain a 14.7:1 mix at part throttle operation via the computer, while wide open throttle is NOT computer controlled. So you get the best possible economy at cruise, and the same power you would get with an older Q-jet.

AFAIK, the only people dealing with replacement (rebuilt) CCC carbs was Holley, selling them as Holley II's, but I'm not sure that they are still doing that. I have heard varying reports as to their quality, from good to poor.

SES stands for Service Engine Soon, meaning the computer "sees" a problem, and it indicates a fault to the driver by the light coming on.

9. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

I never realized that being an 86 would cause such problems. it seems like everything that i'm trying to get has some kind of problem with it not matching or working with my 86 set up.
    king

10. Alaskan85K5

Alaskan85K5 Registered Member

Oh what a difference a year makes. I have an 85.

The first picture is the smog pump. You probably also have a EGR valve and other stuff that will need to be on your new engine as well.

Second picture is Mixture control selenoid. Also on your carb if you look at the far right of the picture a black plugin, that is the throttle control sensor.

Its interesting cause In my 85 it has the mixture control selenoid but no throttle control sensor.

Yes you will have to have all this hooked up if you intend to pass a visual inspection. Sucks huh. I wish I could find a nice 72, think of all the benifits, Full top, no IM inspections (or at most a tail pipe sniff).

11. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

I need to find an 83-84 frame and swap the body and vin numbers. ha ha i wish i could. I called around (jegs, edelbrock, gm) and no one makes a new carb for this 86 setup. what a pain. i wanted to replace it becasue my fuel filter is cross threaded and i have had it rebuilt too many times. i just wanted to start with a whole new set up and i can't even do that. i wish i had a better understanding of the whole thing becasue this is extreemly frustrating. I have never had such a hard time finding parts for my truck before.
    king