Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

86 blazer full convertable ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by B'hamK5, Jun 27, 2004.

1. B'hamK5

B'hamK5 Registered Member

can u make a 86 blazer a full converble? what all fabrictions would have to be made? and how much would it probly run me? help me out thanks /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

yes you can, all you need is a /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif abn /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif but if you ever wanted to put a hard top on it you would need a new windshield frame from a 73-75 k5. as far as how to do it, just like you would guess... cut from the top of the bed aross the pillar and the across the windshield in a few inches, i havent done it, but people here can tell you how far /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif oh and thanks for turning off the caps /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Steve Fox did this to his Blazer. It's not an '86, but the same principals apply.

John

4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

WELCOME TO CK5!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif U CUN LRN LTS O STUFF FRUM DIS PLACE MANG!!!!(joke) /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

YUR MEZED UP MEN!! GIV EMA BRAKE /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

And a second thanks for turning the caps off, punctuation and what not. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

There are two approaches depending if you want to use a full convert factory hard top or not. If you're going to use a soft top or no top then do what was mentioned above. If you plan on using a hard top then that's a bit more involved. First thing you need to do is reinforce the body before you chop anything or else the body will sag. The windshield frame will cave inwards and the doors won't line up or be able to shut. You either need to reinforce the body underneath somehow or put in a rollcage and tie the dash board to the roll cage. Then you can chop the top off. First cut is at the B pilar, just a few inches above the bed panel (you go back later to make the cuts flush with the bedside). Then you cut the windshield frame at about the midway point. Put a piece of square tube inside the windshield frame and weld it in place. This is for added support. Then you slide the 73-75 w/shield frame over the square tube and weld it in place. You also need to cut the window frame off on your existing doors, just like the factory did. The best way is to look at a full convert door and see where the cuts are. For the hard top if you can, find a 75 since it has overlapping seams on the outside which makes it stronger and less prone to cracking.
    How much you ask? ...
    all new weatherstripping: $450
    full convert hard top: $200 (depends on condition)
    windhshield frame: $50
    add on price of roll cage or reinforcement.

6. B'hamK5

B'hamK5 Registered Member

thanks guys im goin with a soft top i need to know wat do i do with the doors can i change um out

7. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

The doors need to be cut... it's hard to find door for a full convertable so most people cut them....

8. owen

owen 1/2 ton status

Hello, fellow Bamian! I just bought a 74 for the top and windsheild frame. I will be gathering up the guts to chop the ol' 87 soon! We should stay in touch!