Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

86 blazer ignition/fueling problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by baldredhead, Jul 8, 2005.

1. baldredhead

baldredhead Registered Member

Hi

This is going to be a little long, sorry

I acquired an 86 k5 blazer about a month ago and it ran, though i only got to drive it about 15 miles before parking it for a month. It has been thoroughly desmogged and kluged in innumerable ways. I tried at least starting it a few times in the mean time, though only managed to find time to drive around the block. No problems, i think.

Yesterday i decided it was about time to bring it the rest of the way home, a whopping 6 miles. It made it about 3 blocks before refusing to start. During the three blocks it would run ok till i had to stop, then cut out and immediately restart. this trick it did twice. It was at one of these stops that it didn’t come back.

i replaced the distributor cap, rotor, coil, plugs and wires. I presume the timing is good enough as it did run not too long ago. I forgot to reconnect the plugs in the dizzy for a minute or two of cranking, and it almost caught when i did reconnect them. It didn’t stay running so i tried grounding a spare plug attached to a wire to the intake manifold and it didn’t spark at all.

The carb is a holley double pumper that is probably doing too much pumping. When i removed the old spark plugs they were dark sooty black.

another oddity: if i get it to start and run, removing the negative lead from the battery smooths out the idle and the revs seem to pick up a little (no tach, so not sure)

So, my theory is that for whatever reason i wasn't getting consistent spark and now somethign has completely failed. I’m not sure where to start, i’m not a good electrical person, and any help is much appreciated.

thanks

2. chev4life

chev4life 1/2 ton status

Come on guys help this bald guy out! We need to fix it this weekend. :wink1: