Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

86 Blazer K5 305 bogs down on acceleration

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JW86, Aug 20, 2002.

1. JW86

JW86 Registered Member

Idles pretty good, but when accelerating bogs down or loses power then comes back and surges. If i run at 2500 rpm in 2nd seems smooth, but accelerate and shift, gets bad. I have been working on the vac system, but not sure if im on the right track. Any help appreciated!

2. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

When's the last time you changed the fuel filter. It only takes 15 mins and is cheap. Even if it doesn't solve the problem it probably needs it any way.

3. beachinblazer

beachinblazer Registered Member

you might check the fuel system. I replaced everything in my timing system to fix a problem similar in my 86. i then replaced fuel lines and pump. little did i know there's a filter in the carb itself right by the inlet that hadn't been replaced. i replaced it and it worked no problem

4. JW86

JW86 Registered Member

Thanks, have one on the bench just hadn't got to it yet. I have only owned this one for 2 weeks and ran better before i started to "fix" it. Will get it in this PM and see what happens.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Make sure to use a tubing wrench and 1" open end on the fuel line fitting when repalcing the filter, or you'll end up replacing the steel fuel line.

Putting the tubing wrench on the fuel line nut, holding the 1" wrench on the large carb inlet/filter "nut", and delivering a sharp blow (however you can manage it) on the tubing wrench will usually break it free without twisting the fuel line. If you can reach it, disconnecting the steel fuel line at the fuel pump end will also help a little in preventing line twist.

6. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

i had the same prob a while back and it was the fuel pump...
    peace.
    HAYDUKE

7. JW86

JW86 Registered Member

Replaced fuel filter (nasty) but did not help. ALso replaced the EGR valve since it was a mess. Will check the Fuel pump today. On test drive, was pretty boggy and missing enough to make it embarassing to drive... maybe an ignition problem?