Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

86 Full Size Blazer: Engine swap, now tranny problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JaySearles, May 8, 2003.

1. JaySearles

JaySearles Newbie

I just swapped out the engine in my wife's 86 full size blazer. It had a 305 in it which died on me exactly 7 days after I bought it. So I put in the 350 I was saving for my Jeep. Now, it doesn't shift correctly: it revs really high before it shifts, if it shifts at all. We have already had 2 small fires (had to replace some plug wires on the first one) from the fluid foaming and coming out of the fill/check tube and hitting the hot manifold. I was told this could be because the TV cable is set for a 305, not a 350. Anybody know if it is true? It is the same tranny and torque converter, just a bigger engine. I think I should probably get a torque converter for a blazer with a 350 too, right?

Here is what the old 305 looked like when i pulled off the intake manifold.
    [​IMG]

Like big chunks of charcoal
    [​IMG]

2. alesko

alesko Registered Member

Sounds like the modulater is not getting vaccum. Check and see if the line might have been knocked off.
    The 305 and 350 converter is the same

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Yes, the tranny (the 700R4 with electronic overdrive, I'm assuming) is the same for the 305 and 350. So is the TV cable. But, you may need to adjust it now. (With the engine off, push in the adjuster tab on the cable at the throttle bracket, cycle the carb to full throttle by hand and you'll hear the adjuster click into place).

Also, you may want to think about checking or replacing the governor. Maybe it's just coincidence that it failed on you too.

Here's a page you might find REALLY helpful at this time.

GOOD LUCK /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

By the way - I have NEVER seen an engine so gobbed with junk on the inside /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

4. alesko

alesko Registered Member

[Quote Ive never seen an engine gobbed with so much junk];

Kinda looks likes the old days while running quaker state.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yeah try adjusting the TV cable. It is vital to the proper operation of your tranny. If it is out of adjustment you can ruin your tranny in a short time.

Here's even more info for your reading pleasureTV Cable/valve info

6. JaySearles

JaySearles Newbie

OK, I tried adjusting the cable the way all the sites I found told me to: "press the button, push the cable housing toward the trans as far as it will go, cycle the carb to WOT and it will self adjust". First of all, the cable housing IS all the way back. Second, when I go to WOT with the carb, the cable doesn't adjust at all. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Any other ideas???

Now I'm thinking its the torque converter. The TV cable/valve adjusts line pressure, but what if there isn't enough line pressure to begin with? The converter is what builds the pressure in the first place, right???

7. JaySearles

JaySearles Newbie

back to top for the weekend crowd