Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

86 gmc c65 big block dumptruck

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by i8yrsuv, Nov 22, 2003.

1. i8yrsuv

i8yrsuv 1/2 ton status

HI ,I have this truck and it wont pass a part of the smog test .It has to do with the egr valve . I took the valve off and cleaned it up and suck tested it to make it work ..Well,it worked ...,so, now the problem is in the passage in the intake manifold .... Do I have to take the manifold off the truck to clean the passage ??? or can I unblock it with a "snake" [ screwdriver or...stiff piece of wire ] ??? IF I can unblock it were does the carbon go to after ??? Thank in advance /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

man, that sucks that you guys have to deal with all that smog junk out there, i would just remove the stupid thing and block it off, but i guess you guys cant just do that and be able to keep thre truck, alot of good stuff been crushed out there because of not being able to pass, im sure, i dotn want to know details though cuz i already have a pretty good idea on what happens when something wont pass testing out there, R.I.P. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

if its anything like a small block is, then the pasages are part of the intake and go over to and into the heads

so would most likely have to pull intake to get all the carbon and crud out of there thats packed and baked in there /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    it happens,, see it all the time, but around here we just block off the EGR and dont wory about it, or stick an aftermarket intake on

on side note, i liek your signature, hehehe, i knew a guy locally who was a blacksmith and worked on trucks as big as and way larger even than C65 trucks, and one of the last things he said to me i will always remember is that we all end up in the same place, a wooden box, i dunno why he said it, but he did and now he is gone, i never got to say bye or anything /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    he was cool, he had big roll back international diesel trucks and huge old big tow trucks and so forth, it was cool /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

good luck

3. i8yrsuv

i8yrsuv 1/2 ton status

Well. thanks for the input .. I am going to pull the egr valve and try the wire trick today ..I hope it works !!! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

out of curiosity, whats the Max that truck can be loaded to?
    total weight. im wondering if i find a C65 or 60 or 70 and pull the bed will it take a 7000lbd truck on back and still be legal?
    thanks, and i hope you get the problem fixed.
    Grant

5. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Yeah 7000 lbs just ride nice with a C65. Most of them are legal for about 11-12K payload. With a beaver tail and a winch it would be a good hauler.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

whats total GVW rating say on the truck ?
    front and rear combined*

7. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

well some of the lighter ones had 7000 lb fronts and 18,000 rears with juice brakes. for a GVWR of 25,000 lbs.They usually dont weight more than 12k empty. Up here that light enough to not need a CDL. If you get one with an 8.2 diesel and a 5 speed they can work good and be fuel efficient too.