Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

86 k-5 auto to man. hubs/ Do I need a conversion kit?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chrisnjj, Nov 8, 2002.

1. chrisnjj

chrisnjj Registered Member

I have the stock 5 torx screw auto hubs and want to install warn manual hubs. Some places say I need a spindle nut conversion kit and some say I dont. Which is it??

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

No conversion kit is needed. All of the auto stuff just pulls out, and the manual stuff goes in. The only thing you've got to watch is to make sure you take out one washer/spacer (directions will tell you which one - doesn't need a tool - it's just a washer), but other than that, it's no harder than turning a few screws and inserting some retaining clips.

3. chrisnjj

chrisnjj Registered Member

Thanks heavy4x4. That sounds cheaper and eaiser for me.

4. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

I understand your concern. I am thinking about changing my auto to manual on my 90 blazer. When I looked at the Warn web page they state that bYOU need the conversion kit.

Dan...

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Okay guys, here's the deal...I swapped in manual hubs in place of my autos. No problem, no kit was needed. But...I have an NP241 transfer case. I don't know whatkind of t-case you have, but if you have an NP203 (big cast iron hunk o' metal), you may need some sort of "part-time" conversion kit. I'm not positive on this, so someone else speak up please. What I do know is that if you have an NP241, 205, or 208, you won't need any conversion kit to replace your auto hubs with manuals.

6. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

86 has a 208 so no kit is necessary. i did my swap about two months ago. other than fighting to get the outer hub lock ring off it was an easy swap.

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the confirmation. I just couldn't remember.

Yeah, when I did it I went out and bought a snap ring pliers. Made things easy - and now I've got one more tool /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif