Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

86 K20 have a 44 or 10 bolt?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudstud, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

I have found a set of 3/4 ton axles supposedly out of an 86 K20 truck but dude says that it is a dana 44 HD and FF 14 bolt. Wouldn't an 86 have a 10 bolt and 14 bolt? He also says the front end has no locking hubs. I think the 86 models had the smooth hubs but it seems to me I remember reading somewhere that the number of bolts holding the hub on had a significant impact on doing mods to it. If this is a 44 front then I'm thinking this might be a mixed matched pair of axles being sold as a matched set. The 14 bolt probably came out of an 86 but if it is in fact a 44 it probably came out of a pre 78 truck. What do you guys think?

Bottom line- I should be able to swap in locking INTERNAL hubs on an 86 front and be good to go, right?

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

sounds like you've got it right. Looks like its a Dana 44 that came off a truck with the 203 transfer case. Should still be fine. You could hubs on it.

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

the 10 bolts went in after 78 but some trucks still got them for a few years after i have heard. so it should be a 10 bolt.if its a 44 then it will be a little stronger than the 10 bolt.and you can still get standard manual hubs for it instead of the full time auto hubs that are on it.they are only 70 bucks from 4wp.ive seen them cheaper if you look through a mag though.

4. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

I've looked up on Warns site and through email dialog with the guy and with talking to a guy at 4wps it does sound like this may be a 44HD. The smooth hubs are for the automatic 4x thingy, not the silver disc looking cap on 203 equiped trucks. The thing about the bolts in the hubs is if the end caps are held on by 3 bolts then I'd need to buy a $32 conversion kit to allow for standard 6 bolt hubs to be used. I've asked for pics but nothing yet. I hope it's a 44 cuz then it'll be a done deal.

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

An '86 K20 should have a 10 bolt front and a 14 semi-floater rear. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Sounds like there out of an older truck 86 should have a semi floating 14bolt in the rear and a 10 bolt front /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

What kind of transfer case did the 3/4 ton sub get? 208? Would a 241 be stronger? Making a 1/2 ton into a 3/4 ton. 454 coming next.

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

An '86 will have the 208.

Going to a 241 won't make it stronger as the 241 and 208 are pretty much the same t-case, but with some little differences.

Going to a 205 would be the step-up to making it the stronger setup. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

definetly go with a 205 my k10 stepside deystroyed my 208 with a small block and half the weight a big block sub would surely tear that 208 to pieces /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

ive never looked at the auto hubs up close so i dont know.you should be able to buy just a new set of hub premiums and replace the whole hub assembly to have the stardard manual hubs.i thought all post 76 dana 44 hubs were the same hub depending on if you had 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton.you just had a choice of auto hubs or manual if you had a part time tranfer case.but like i said ive never pulled an autohub to see what was inside.