Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

86 K30 NP 205 4 low problems help...........

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Klink K5, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

Hey I was using my 86 k30 4x4 the other day pulling a heavy load out of the field and the front axle seemed to be the only one ingaged. And also time to time, the transfer case seems to stick in 4 low and you really have to jerk on the handle to get it out of 4 low. 2 wheel high and 4 high always work good, is there something going over center or sticking in 4 low that does not allow the rear axle to go in?. Any input would be helpful cause I need to get it fixed fast! Thanks, Klink /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

A worn case can have slop in the internal shift linkage causing it to engage the front axle only. The 205 in my old K10 would do the same thing, the best way to avoid it is to be a little forcefull when shifting into low, basically making sure it's all the way in gear.

As for the difficulty disengaging that's just normal binding because of the front and rear being locked together without the ability to slip and relieve tension.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've figured out that going in reverse seems to help get it out of 4wd, (always trying to disengage while tranny is in neutral) and my dad has found in his truck that if he is rolling forward just slightly (again tranny in neutral) it is usually easier to take out of 4wd.

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

with a manual tranny it is always easier to shift while moving in gear
    medium pressure on the shift handle and lift off the throttle to relieve the gear pressure
    never owned an auto so can't help you shift it

5. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

Re: 86 K30 NP 205 4 low problems (help just the front axle is in)

My truck has a 400 auto and like I said, it really sticks in 4 low. I have another truck that I drive daily and the shift lever is really smooth and never have and problems with it sticking in 4 low. Is there something in the t-case that is wore out? And like I said earlier, I had it the other day where it just had the front axle in and not the rear. Let me know if there is something that is screwed up on engageing both axles like it should normaly happen. Are the shift rails inside shot? Is there a fork bent? is there a ball spring jammed? I want the case working just like new again. Thanks, Klink /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

TTT /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifNeed more tech info on my problem, not learning much about the shift rails, ect /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

TTT /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifstill need some tech info on this, Thank You /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

My th400/np205 is also difficult to dissengage in 4lo...I believe this is fairly common. I usually unlock the hubs prior to yanking on the lever and this seems to help eliminate some of the binding issues. I also bump back and forth from R-D while yanking on the lever....I've never worried about the case since it's always performed when engaged.