Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

86' K5, 350, Quadrajet rebuild. How much?$$

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MilpitasK5, Jul 26, 2002.

1. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

86\' K5, 350, Quadrajet rebuild. How much?$$

Anyone know, in general how much it might cost me? I'm in the bay area.
    Thanks,
    Chris

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: 86\' K5, 350, Quadrajet rebuild. How much?$$

If you do it yourself.
    $15 for base rebuild kit.
    $15-25 (never bought one so It may be higher) for Solonoide if it's bad (replace it, they usualy are).
    About $20 for a gallon can of Carb soak and some cans of carb cleaner spray.
    If you pay somebody to do it expect $200-300.
    I would not mess with one of the reubilds from the chain stores. They are usualy jetted wrong and cause you more problems. You carb will have the correct Jetsize if it has been passing emmisions in the past. Most of the time the only thing wrong with a Quad is it has had the fuel filter get clogged. There is a spring that if the filter get's clogs it will sometimes push the filter off the seal and bypass the filter. Trash then gets in the carb and plugs a passage. The Solonoids on the mid 80's trucks seem to give it up every few years as does the Choke element.
    What sort of symptoms are you experiancing? It may be a choke problem and not need a rebuild. The repair may be under $50.
    Typical bad choke element problems is it will start fine., As it warms up it starts running bad and stalls. LOTS of gas fumes in the exhaust. Black smoke out tail pipe. Fails emmissons test miserably.
    Sometimes the throttle shafts wear and cause a vacume leak. A good machine shop will be able to sleave the base plate with a bronze bushing and fix the problem.

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

When I lived in SanJose there was a Carborator shop right on Almaden Expressway. I can't remember the exsact name of the place but it has a sign on the roof that says 'Carborators'. It is right before Alamden crosses over Capitol Expressway.
    Anyway I had delt with them years ago and they were selling rebuilt Q-jets fer 150bucks. I never used one of their carbs but bought parts and got advice from them and seamed to be a good gig they had going!
    Good Luck

4. MilpitasK5

Hey Burt: That's exactly the one I was thinking of going to.

Grim: I think you're right on the choke deal. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif You gave me some good tips when I had a choke prob last time and it ended up just being the freakin' fuse.
    When I start up the truck in the morning, it putts (idle up and down with black smoke puffing out. sometimes donuts will come out!) until it warms up a little, then the idle jumps to 1500 until it warms up more, as soon as it's all warmed up, it drops to 700-1000. When the idle is up, it back fires a few times. When it's warm and I stomp on the peddle, it will gurgle before it opens so a takes a few seconds to go. If I stomp on the peddle and let off quickly, it'll back fire or if not, just gurgle... I think there is a vaccume leak too. When I spray carb cleaner on the driver side of the carb, the idle gets thrown off and kinda wants to die out. We've changed the carb gasket and it lessened the vaccume leak but it's still there. What do you think doc?
    /forums/images/icons/confused.gif I'm terrified /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif of touching that carb on my own as I'm barely learning how to work on cars. The only thing I've ever done are simple stuff like water pumps, alternators, starters, and a little suspension...
    Thanks for the input!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Oh yeah, I got my smog notice from the DMV, that's why I'm starting to worry about it. I'm gonna try and get it smogged today to see what happens. It's passed smog before under the same conditions but it's a rebuilt engine now and the conditions got a bit worse.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    (idle up and down with black smoke puffing out. sometimes donuts will come out!)

[/ QUOTE ]

If my truck produced donuts, I certainly wouldn't change a thing.

6. MilpitasK5

LOL!!

I just came back from the smog place and they said my idle speed is too high. They clocked it at 1229 /forums/images/icons/mad.gif . But my problem is that it is set properly, i think but it sticks up at 1200. When I tap on the peddle again it drops back to 1000.
    Any carb pros know how I can fix this?? I got quoted $680.90 to get my carb rebuilt /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif !! Help /forums/images/icons/confused.gif .
    Grim: What can I do about checking the choke and all that stuff?
    Thanks,