Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

86 k5 ecm?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rodney chambers, Dec 14, 2005.

1. rodney chambers

rodney chambers Registered Member

traced wiring from distributor through firewall on k5. manual calls it an ecm. is this the case. having intermittent death while driving . let it set a while and it will start. wondering if this could be the problem. is there a troublshooting procedure for this component?

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

There's not much troubleshooting for these, other than a direct replacment to see if a different one works. This is a very weird year for GM, is your engine TBI, computer carbed, or just carbed? My '86 C10 4.3L has a non-computer carb on it. I still have one of these, it's only function is spark knock, and when to open the purge valves on the charcoal canistor.

3. rodney chambers

rodney chambers Registered Member

this is a computer carb engine. i have noticed if i let the engine warm up and let the choke kick off the engine runs fine. i am thinking i have a choke problem

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

It could be a distributor problem. The module. Easy to get at and the chain parts stores will test them for free.
    Could be choke, The elec. chokes aren't really known for going bad though. Do you have power to the choke?