Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

86 k5 trans going I think

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Justin Fleming, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Justin Fleming

Justin Fleming 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The trans is what I beleive to be a 700r4. When truck is cold the trans does not want to shift out of 1st and as it gets warmed up it shifts ok but seem to be lackadasive. The question is........what 700r4 trans is a good replacement? I know that these came in anything from s10s to camaros. will any 700r4 work or what are the options for a direct replacement?

thanks

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

any 4x4 trans should work for you, as long as it was a 90 degree pattern, you might want to look for the later 88 up trannys they had a lot of parts that were changed to make them a lot better from the early ones

3. Justin Fleming

Locally I found a 91 chevy 4.3 v6 with a 700r4 trans out of a s10 pickup and I can get it all for 100. Based on what you have said above it should be a direct replacement?

4. 1979jimmy350

yes that is a direct replacment, and thats a really good deal, are you getting the engine and tranny?

5. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

If your going to put a v6 700 behind a v8 dont expect it to last very long, they ahve less clutches and weaker parts in some applications.. just a fyi.. nate

6. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey Nate don't you work at a Tranny Shop?

As for a replacement I would suggest the following...
    1) local shop, nice if there is ever a problem
    2) somone like www.maddogtransmissions.com he seems to be really cool and I have only heard great things about him
    3) Factory GM replacement through your local dealer
    4) find a 2nd generation 700r4 and have the local shop rebuild it

That is the list that I have come to like from my searches regarding this very topic as my 700r4 is also on its last leg.
    Mine doesn't like to shift out of first either, just get into the throttle then when it racks up enough rpm's just let up on the peddle and it'll shift into 2nd then be sure to roll back into it so you don't slow down too much and bogg down the engine.
    Sounds dumb but it works, I've been doing that for over 6 months at about 20 miles a day for work and school. Oh that and Lucas Oil Transmisison stop slip helped me.

-Avery

7. 1979jimmy350

that is not true for the ones that were put behind 4.3 V6's, they are the same as one that would be in a truck. i know of quiet a few that have no problem behind a v8 you have to remember the 4.3 was rated higher in power than most of the mid 80's 350's

8. Big Truck

Big Truck 1/2 ton status

my 700r4 wouldn't shift out of 1st and all it ended up being was a stuck governor valve maybe yours is sticking. took mine out cleaned it and it was good to go.

9. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

That doesn't sound like the transmission is going; I would check/replace the TV (detent) cable and make sure it is adjusted properly first. I've had this same thing happen to me and it turned out to be a siezed up TV cable.

10. Justin Fleming

thanks for all the good info guys.......The tv cable is adjusted correctly and is in great working shape. I do wonder about the govner that the guy mentioned above????

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

As said above check or replace the Governor. It is a cheap and easy job.
    Not shifting out of 1st is a classic bad or stripped governor problem.