Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

86 K5 U-Joint Removal HELP

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Tonka64, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Tonka64

Tonka64 Registered Member

I got the driveshaft off, that was easy, I just cant for the life of me figure out how the U-Joints come off to replace them. Are they Press fitted in, cause I dont see any clips to remove them.

Tim

tonka64@sbcglobal.net

2. Tonka64

ADD: I need to replace all 5, 3 in the front and 2 on the rear, I was having that clunking sound and grinding sound coming from under the floor boards.
    So I figure it was best to replace the U-joints first. Tim

3. 84 K5 4x4

84 K5 4x4 1/2 ton status

I doubt they are factory But if they are they are glued in and you have to heat them up with a torch or something to melt the glue. But if either way the have little half moon clips. Pop them off with a screwdriver and then beat them out.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The factory installed the u-joints using an injected plastic. It squirts into a small hole in each yoke ear and fills the grooves in the caps of the u-joint. Once the plastic hardens, the u-joints are secure.

You have to heat the yoke ears with a propane torch until the plastic melts. You'll see it start oozing out of the hole in the yoke ear when it's hot enough. Then you can remove the u-joints from the yokes.

5. Tonka64

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    See no clips

6. morcav

morcav Registered Member

you should be able to use the vise method w/small and large socket or a hammer and a socket to push the joint until the cap comes out the other side and then vise versa till the caps are off then pull the joint out of the yoke, if you use a vise you might have to crank it pretty hard and they should come out and if there are clips on there you will find them then

7. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

x2:wink1:

8. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

just out of curiousity...is there no way of getting around heating that glue? like beating the ****z0rz outta the cap?

9. Tonka64

I got 1 out a few minutes ago, heating the crap out of it while the plastic oozed out and beat the living &%$# out of it, that was a ordeal tomorrow after work I'm breaking out the Turkey Deep Fryer and cranking up the burner, then beat the &%$# out of it again, I've noticed that I will have to use a wire brush to clean out the insides of the yokes as the new joints dont slide in due to left over plastic that didnt melt out.

Tim
    [​IMG] My Ride 86' K5, 350, 235's, 18 MPG