Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

86 k5 wiring issue

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Justin Fleming, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Justin Fleming

Justin Fleming 1/2 ton status Premium Member

So I have a 86 k5 and all of a sudden the blinkers,horn,4 way and flasher are not working. I have checked the the fuse panel for power on both sides of the fuse, I have check the brake swith and there is power there, I have check that there is power to one side of the flasher wirring. I beleive that there must be a single problem related to these issue as the signal,flasher and brake light I think all work off the dual element bulb. However I do have running lights,head lights and interrior lights working. I beleive the running lights are useing one element of the bulb that operates the brakes and turnsignals.

any ideas?

2. mikras1

mikras1 Registered Member

Taking a shot in the dark here and going by memory so this could be wrong. The same bulb acts as brake and turn signal by having the power go from the brake switch to the turn signal switch. If you're not turning, the power passes thru the turn switch to the brake lights on both sides. If you are turning, the brake feed is disconnected and the power comes from the flasher for a particular side.

There is a harness that goes up the colum for the turn signal swich and the horn and 4 way. That is your common denominator. If that harness were to become uplugged at the bottom of the colum where it attaches to the rest of the truck, that would knock out all of the items you describe.

Hope this helps (even if its not the connector, maybe you can track down the problem) I was going to guess the turn signal switch was bad, but that wouldn't explain the horn not working.
    Mike

3. Justin Fleming

Justin Fleming 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Anyone have a wiring diagram at the connector so I cam pin it out?

thanks

4. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

5. 1BEATK5

1BEATK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had that connector come apart on my 78 and it had all the same symptoms. I would also check the wiring from the turn signal switch,and the switch itself, especially with a tilt column.

6. BROKEN-ONE

BROKEN-ONE Registered Member

flasher unit

i had most of what you said happen to me founf out the flashers in the fuse box had gone bad . there are 2 of them 1 for the blinkers and 1 for the hazzards . then i found the grounds to the rear bulbs in the back were in bad shape . changed the flashers and cleaned the grounds , and all was well . and side note the horn strated working after i did this to . maybe this will help .