Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

86 K5 with the 305

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wattzk5, Mar 15, 2007.

1. wattzk5

wattzk5 Registered Member

Hey guys I have a 86 K5 that I recenlty lifted a put 36 Iroks on. Even before I lifted it and installed the new tires I have had problems with power and bogging down. Even when it was stock on 29's, 4HI was basically usless I was just puttin around the trail. Anytime I would get into a mudhole filled with some water i would just bog down so bad that i tires would be barely spinning. This is stock tires now.

Slap it in 4LO and its got good crawling power even with the 36's and stock 3.08's. But once again if I plunge into a mudhole the damn thing will bog down so bad that the tires are serious barely even turning.

I know i need 4.56's which are going in it next week but what else could it be?

Is the motor shot, need a new fuel pump, or am I taking in water through the intake?

Even if I am taking on water through the intake, there is still a problem b/c something i can floor this thing only highway and it will barely move.

The last mudhole I went it last week i positive i took on water b/c it bogged down then started running really rough and then wouldnt start for a min. Then once it started water came shootin out the tailpipes.

I rarely ever have any problems starting the thing. It usually takes a few pump on the gas pedal and it cranks over and run very smooth. Im pretty sure im in need of a new carb b/c i leaks fuel occasionally.

Sorry for the life story. Any help is appreciated!!!

2. 1990k5fan

1990k5fan 1/2 ton status

The problem is that your motor isn't built to beable to power those big tires with that low gear ratio. Don't feel bad about passing on the freeway, the 350 model isn't very good at that either.

3. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

Do a tune up on the motor. Check your timing, check for vacum leaks, Fix the fuel leak. I have a feeling you got water in the dizzy instead of enough water in the intake that it actually injested enough water to push it out the exhaust in liquid form. Hydro-lock should have set in before this. If you think your engine is worn out get a compression tester and check pressure on each cylinder as well as doing a leak down test. Your truck bogging down with 36's isn't a shock but you should be able to spin 29" tall tires all day long.

4. wattzk5

What is the dizzy???

5. resurrected_jimmy

6. wattzk5

Hmmmm yea my friend was like your distributor probably got wet....this is when it would start and was running ****ty right b4 water came out the pipes. So what do I do if Im taking in water through there?

7. wattzk5

And what is a leak down test?

8. resurrected_jimmy

you can seal up the distributor by making a silicone seal where the cap goes on. There is a whole thread on here not more thana week old about waterproofing. Use the search feature to find it. I posted in that thread. You can pop the cap off and look under there to see if its moist. If so dry it out by spraying with WD-40. This is the most likely source of your rough running in the mud but probably has very little to do with your overall power problem

9. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

RJ you noob, non-paying members can't search :p: . But if it's not that old you can scan through the first few pages, or someone could search for it, for you... Oh yeah you're motor is lacking power because the "0" and the "5" need to switch places... :D

10. wattzk5

I was a paying member last year if that counts! I got out of this for a while and I'm just now getting back into it!

11. resurrected_jimmy

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201746&highlight=waterproofing must i do everything :rolleyes:

I still think something is going on with it since he couldn't spin stock tires (29") in the mud

12. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Tune up and fuel pump. Carb could use a tuneing(sp?) too . Sounds a little like your tranny may be slipping as well. Check the fluid.
    The 4.56's will help. My 305 is no BB, but it does good, and has since I bought the truck. It's a rebuild, has a Performer intake, ACCEL super HEI, and true duals though:wink1:

John

13. BlaKK54Speed

BlaKK54Speed 1/2 ton status

im running a 305 in my 85, it does really good. accelerates fine and gets through lots of stuff. i changed the plug wires, plugs, air filter, oil change, and just rebuilt the carb. i dont think i can get it running any better with 110k on it.

14. wattzk5

Let me reword that.....I could spin the tires in the mud with the stock 29's but somtimes the motor would seem to bog down especially when I got deep

15. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

could also be a plugged cat.

16. 1990k5fan

1990k5fan 1/2 ton status

Haha yeah. That was why my motor wasn't running to its true potential.
    Changed the fuel filter and the cat and now it runs like new. Amazing the difference in performance between a clogged and new cat. :]
    Good luck.