Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

86 K5 wont start!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lew, Mar 13, 2000.

1. lew

lew Registered Member

Hello.
    Just put a new cam in my 86 k5. Now the thing wont start. Timing marks on timing chains are dot to dot. Found top dead center on number one and indexed #1 spark plug wire. Adjusted valves. Still nothing. Checked for a spark and fuel in carb, both look good. This truck still has the factory computer HEI and Rochester. Would the new cam durations and the computer have a problem. Any help or advise on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2. turbo

turbo 1/2 ton status

You may know this but just in case.
    The cam turns half as fast as the crank (hence the bigger gear on the cam).
    So with crank on TDC cam can be 180 degrees out.
    ie you are at TDC #1 but on end of exhaust not end of compression.
    If you hve it like this car won't run as distributor is 180 degrees off.
    Make sure tdc is compression on one when you set distributor pointing at #1.
    To check pull plug and stick finger in hole as you come up to TDC mark you should feel compression build if not need to rotate carank one full turn and try again.

3. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Before you go nuts and take it to the $h*p. Try new spark plugs first.

Had the same problem with my wifes 4 cyllinder. I completly rebuilt that engine and it worked fine. Then I treated the car to a litle carb adjustment at the dealer, and the next morning it was dead.
    The shop then used 4 hours . Finaly they tried new sparkplugs and the car fired. Then they readjusted the carb, bent me over and charged me for one more hour. Go figure!!
    They're explanation was that the spark-plugs had spesial dirt on them from the cyllinderhone work I had done..that they could not get off without spesial glas-blowing equipment....Huuuurrrrrrrl!!![​IMG]