Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

86 Olds Cutlass Supreme 2door with 307ci questions

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Itali83, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I have an 86 olds cutlass supreme with the olds 307 v-8. I'm looking for anyone who's had this style car and what they did to make some mroe cheap power. Mine is a real dog, it won't even do a brake stand in the rain. It's got the E4ME Q-junk on it for a carb. The car will rattle under acelleration (as in the motor rattles from minor spark knock) if aI run it hard and shut it off, it'll diesel. I checked the timing on it in class the other day, the factory specs are 20 degrees BTDC, this sounds like an aweful lot for a stock small block, but I set it there from the 15 it was at, I didn't noting any performance gain but it does diesel easier now, so I'm going to back it down again. Also I'm only getting 12 MPG which my Jimmy gets much better than that. SO I'm asking for some tips on what may be wrong for my bad gas mileage and what I can do for some extra power by tuning it up, I'm in college and broke so I can't do the normal power upgrades. Oh by the way, my car already has a k/n filter and high flor dual exhaust with the cat guted out. Thanks guys.
    Ben 87 Jimmy + 89 Blazer
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. SickboySS

SickboySS 1/2 ton status

depending on what you're willing to do, find an L69 305 out of a Monte Carlo SS, that'll solve your problems right there /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif you can find them pretty cheap too, and that motor has some balls for what it is, 750 quadrabog on top of it with aluminum intake from the factory....if you dont wanna go that far, plugs, wires, rotor, cap...mabey a carb rebuild

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Drop in a 350 with a decent cam, intake, carb and exhaust. Its got to breath and breath out to make power. Oh and dont forget a good ignition setup.

4. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

well, you could buy my olds 350 torque monster motor, its just in many pieces under the work shop bench right now. that motor would spin the tires in my 75 cutlass all night long. the 307 must be real dog, especally in that light car.

really though sound like a tune up is in order plugs cap rotor timing wires and the like. car cant make power if it doenst even run right. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

craig

5. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

yea I know I should or could buy a different motor, but I don't have any money for that stuff, I'm looking for the simple tuning tricks that sometimes make a difference. If I had the money and time I'll sell the pig and buy a MOPAR but thats not happening so I'll have to work with what I have. I need the car to get me to school every day 10 miles each way so thats another reason for easy stuff. Thanks
    Ben 87 Jimmy + 89 Blazer

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I had the same car!! Same things, too, rattle/ping and general lack of power. It didn't change much after full tuneups and light mods to increase power. I swapped out that motor by myself finishing at around 4 am one night. 3 months later it blew and left me on the side of the highway at 2 am...
    Fun car, though, I'd get another one.

7. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

First of all 307 V8, cheap and power CAN NOT be used together in the same sentence. How many miles are on the car???A head/valve job would proably help you out alot. Re-build the Q-jet. (I don't care what anyone says....a Q-jet is a good carb, even the computer controlled ones.)

8. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

the car just turned 203K and everythting looks origonal. It only burnt one quart of oil on my 1500 mile trip from maine to nashville. I guess I'm trying to get blood out of a rock, but I was just looking for some little tips that may make a little difference. I have NO money or time to take anything apart so I guess i'm not going to gain anything much but I was hoping. lol Thanks
    Ben 87 Jimmy + 89 Blazer