Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'86 or '73, what would you do?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jfaulk, Dec 16, 2006.

1. jfaulk

jfaulk Registered Member

ok here's the deal. I have an 86' K5 I've been using as my DD for 11 years. It is bone stock but in really good shape. The motor is a new crate from GM and the trans is rebuilt with only about 3 or 4k on it. I also have a '73 sittin at my folks place in NC just rotting away. I mean this thing is bad. The best part of the whole truck is the back seat. It has stock running gear and I love the fully removable top but I can't decide if I wanna try to get it trail worthy or sell it and just build the 86. Would it be worth it to put the running gear from the 73 under the 86 until I can get a 14b/D60 or just run the 10bolts I have now/ I'm lost. What would you do? Thanks

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

It's not worth swaping your 73 running gear in your 86, they are not stronger.
    If you were here in CA, 73 would be the ticket because it's not required to smog.
    I don't know what it's like in your area so if that is not an issue I would stick with the 86.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Yeah, the 73 sounds like a piece of work. You're probably looking at spending at least a few grand in bodywork to get it looking good, right? That money could buy you your 1 ton stuff and all the other goodies you need to for the swap.

Sell the 73 and focus on the 86.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Definitely keep the windshield frame, hardtop and doors. Part whatever else you can and focus on the '86. It'll be reasonably easy to make the '86 a full convertable...

I made my '81 a full convertable.

Rene

6. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

I think it depends on what you want to do with the trail rig. If you're going to wheel it hard and beat on it, why not build the 73 and keep the 86 nice. If you just want to do mild trails and stuff, then build the 86. If it's not too far gone I'd build the 73 so that I could have a dedicated wheeler.

7. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

x2

Clean older trucks are hard to come by. If you have a 73 truck ready to trail build, I would drop the money into that one. Hack, saw and cut without regret. You'll have a reliable DD and a trail truck that you won't be overly concerned with dents and scrapes.