Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

86 (stock) k5 krunchy 4x4 when disengaged

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Justin Fleming, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Justin Fleming

Justin Fleming 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am all new to how the 4x4 works. I know when I pull back on the lever into 4x4 high it seems to engage and then when I push it forward(out of 4x4) I still seem to get some Krunchy noises from the front as if it is engaging and disengaging......

The truck does not have any lockN from the outside at the hubs, I guess it is auto locking or something...

Anyone have some ideas?

2. Justin Fleming

Anyone??

3. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

When you put it back into 2WD, drive in reverse about 15-20 feet. see if that helps. those auto-locking hubs are a pain.

4. Justin Fleming

cam some one explain to me how the auto hubs work? Are the from axels spinning all the time? or just when you pull it into 4wd? I asume there is a wheel bearing in there and I am not sure what else

5. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

had a similar problem with my 81. range fork on transfer case was shreded

6. 350k5

350k5 1/2 ton status

From what was explained to me this is what I can tell you about auto locking hubs.

Say your on a trail driving in 2H, come to a stop and put the transfer case into 4H to lock it in 4 wheel drive. Then take your foot off the brake and drive forward for 10-15 feet so that the auto locking hubs can engage. Then slowly accelerate to ensure the hubs are locked and you are in 4 wheel drive.

7. blazerguy 90

blazerguy 90 1/2 ton status

I think its possible to change them over to manual hubs if you don`t like the auto hubs.

8. 350k5

350k5 1/2 ton status

Yes, you could also swith out your auto locking hubs for manual lock-outs. The advantage to those is they are much stronger and more reliable than the auto locking ones.

However, it just depends on what you're going to be using your truck for. If you don't really do any sort of off roading, or only do it occasionaly you may not really want to make the switch. Where I live 4x4 gets used in the winter mostly where manual hubs would be a bit of a pain. If it snows you have to get out of the truck and manualy engage the hubs in the freezing snow - not really fun. Also if the truck sits and snow piles up your manual hubs they could freeze and lock up, which would be even more of a hassle because now you have to melt them free.

If you are interesed in doing some off roading and have the money I would make the switch.

Edit: Also I should mention that changing out the auto hubs for manual ones is a very simple job with the right tools. A snap ring puller is a good investment if you don't already have one (you'll need it to change the hubs). I'm sure if you look around and do a search someone on the web, or on here has an explanation of how to make the switch. Good luck.

9. bigkennye

bigkennye Registered Member

great idea

i also have a similar problem with the auto locking hubs, i didnt have an owners manual and didnt know how to use the 4wd, the result is now the truck is parked and the wheels chocked until i can afford some transmission work, i assume somehow the hubs weren't disengaged and i had a bind in my transmission, as i slowed down, on pavement after driving about 10 miles, transmission fluid went everywhere, i have never seen it gush out so fast, almost like tremendous pressure an a burst seal, possibly, but i would like to see ck5 do a how-to on this conversion from auto locking hubs, like i have on my '81, to the manual ones. thanks

10. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a cooler hose came loose.

11. bigkennye

bigkennye Registered Member

soon as the timing and weather is right i am going to check for all the obvious stuff, but it pours onto the ground just as fast as you pour it into the dipstick tube