Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'86-style dash speaker in an '87??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BrianDamage, May 6, 2002.

1. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

\'86-style dash speaker in an \'87??

put some new dash speakers in my newly acquired '87 K5 (Silverado package)...noticed that the dash is cut in the center like for an '86-style dash speaker, and the pad has the sound holes too... thought about getting one of those aftermarket replacements for an '86 that replaces the single mono speaker with 2 speakers in a frame the same size for stereo....that would give me 4 dash speakers ...anybody else tried this? I'd hate to spend the $40 and the speaker not fit. Does the center speaker require a frame like the two 3.5'' side speakers do?

2. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

Re: \'86-style dash speaker in an \'87??

*bump*

3. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

you might try looking at an LMC truck catalog for the exploded view, or try a GM dealer

4. K05Aggie

K05Aggie 1/2 ton status

I don't think you should have to buy a bracket to fit two speakers in there. You could just cut the opening to fit them and drill a couple of holes. Or you could buy a 4X10 speaker. That is the size the hole was originally intended for. I believe the trucks that had the AM radio were equipped only with that 4X10 in the center of the dash. I just took one of the 4X10's from the back when I cut those openings to fit 6X9's. Try a search on the audio forum.

5. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Well, my 74 came stock with only one speaker in the center. What I did was get some heavy plastic and cut it so it would fit over the stock 4x10 hole. Then I traced my new 3.5" Rockford Fosgates on them and cut out 2 holes. Then I mounted them in.

So, yes you can fit two speakers in that hole if you go the 3.5" speaker. They just sit real close to one another but, it sounds good. Then you can have 4 front dash speakers.

6. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

if you do 4 dash speakers dont run the rear speakers as well...that is if youre running it all off a radio...too low an impedance on the radio...its gonna burn the radio then youll have to buy a new one...

Later