Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'86 Suburban 1 Ton- Decision????? Long!!! UPDATE!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TK5, Mar 19, 2003.

1. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

\'86 Suburban 1 Ton- Decision????? Long!!! UPDATE!!!

Ok we all need a little/a lot advice from time to time. You guys are the best in giving advice.

Here's the deal I have been searching all over Tennessee for a decent Suburban to buy. Today, I ran across a '86 Chevy suburban 1 Ton 4 X 4 a '96 350 FI. I didn't get to drive it but I looked it over from the top to bottom.

The body is in fair shape, faded red paint, drivers side vent window missing, R & L side quarter panels, rocker panels, over rear wheel rusted through. The rear passenger window in the door busted, but not out. Interior is in decent shape with no tears. Engine is pretty clean and no apparent oil or any other leaks. No third seat. Front and rear air and heat. Front windshield busted.

It is definitely a one ton, 8 lugs, 14 bolt rear, D-44 front.

The guy is asking $4000 for the C-20. I don't like to price anyone's vehicles. I am thinking this a good starting price, but seems a little high for the condition maybe he will come down on the price. He works construction, wife is going to have a baby maybe he needs some money who knows.

My question is what is a good solid asking price for the vehicle? It has over 100,000 on the OD. I am pretty sure what I would offer and maybe work from there. I don't like blue book values. Personal experience and pricing for the everyday Joe is what I'm looking for in advice.

UPDATE!!!!
    Actually the rust is not that bad. The suburban runs great and drives pretty good. I have have made my offer of $2000 cash and he's thinking pretty hard. I will know by Wednesday of this week. There is a picture of the suburban on Webshots.

If someone will tell me how to post a picture here, I wopuld appreciate it. I have tried a dozen or so times. I give up. TK5 Webshots

Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

Re: \'86 Suburban 1 Ton- Decision????? Long!!!

dana 44 upfront says 1/2 or 3/4 ton.

c20 says 3/4 ton two wheel drive.

they never made a 1 ton suburban. sounds like someones put some parts together.

3. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Sounds high. 3/4 ton 4x4 Subs are out here in Cal for $2000-$4500 for anything under 1991. No rust either.

4. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

Ok 3/4 ton. I don't know. that is why am asking questions. I don't know anything Suburbans. I do know that it has the 14 bolt on the rear and d-44 up front. I crawled under the vehicle and counted the bolts to make sure what I was seeing.

Did the suburbans come 8 lug 14 bolt rears and d-44 front??????

Still need the help!!!!!

5. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

K-5 blazers and suburbans are like gold around here. It kind of like gas prices.

Regular $1.79
    next $arm.9
    Premium $leg.9

6. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

ttt

7. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

keep looking, too high

8. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I know it is too high. I just trying to get a good baseline price that I might offer. I thought I would start @$2000 and work for there. Vehicles are plentiful west of the Mississippi. Most of the vehicles make it down from the north where salt is plentiful and the snow is deep. Here if we get 1" snow we are out of school more than an inch we are out 2 or 3 days. The blazer and suburban market is like Ebay. Sellers ask premium prices, buyers seeking lowest prices. sellers usually win out.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Did the suburbans come 8 lug 14 bolt rears and d-44 front??????

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. 3/4 ton Suburbans did.

There is no such thing as a factory 1 ton Suburban.

1 ton rigs have Dana 60 front axles anyway. Dana 44s only came in 1/2 and 3/4 tons. 8 lug D44s came in 3/4 ton applications only. ALL 1 ton trucks have D60 fronts.

10. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

It sounds a bit rough for the money. And even if you get the price down, it'll still be a bit rough. I'd keep looking.
    We were living in Colorado when I happened to find one in Texas. Wasn't a 3/4 ton, but a sweet enough 1/2 ton, 1 owner, garaged and a file-cabinet full of all the receipts for service/maint/repairs on it that i was swayed. Price may have been a bit high back then, but i sure have had NO regrets.
    I'd keep looking until you find that 'gem'. They ARE out there.... just never easy to find. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

www.kbb.com
    I'm looking at a 88 2500 2wd with a 454 with 71,000 original miles and I expect to get it for about $4200 and it's nearly perfect. ZERO rust. look at the site I listed and that will give you the average price.

12. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Sounds pretty rough for the price. Right off the bat you need 3 windows. Price out the glass and any required repairs that the truck needs, and add that to what you are willing to pay. It adds up really quick. I'd say keep looking. I payed $3000 for mine 2 years ago, it was/is mechanically perfect, and only needed minor rust repairs and paint and front seat. Everything else worked. Glass can get expensive. Just my preference, but I knock off 500-700 from what I want to spend if the truck is carburated. You may say you don't care, but fuel injection is one of the best "options" in my book. Right after 4WD if you ask me. But these are only my opinions, but I'd keep looking. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

13. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

Thanks to all. I also thought the price was quite high for the condition. I still haven't gotten to talk with guy. I have a pretty level head and I always usually search things out, ask questions, get opinions and decipher my opinion.

I don't mind doing a lot of the repairs. I am pretty much mechanically inclined on body work, glass and other things.

I will keep looking, but I sam still barter with this guy. I found out that the burban hasn't seen the offroad other going to a house to haul carpet on trailer.

14. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

got a 84 3/4 ton 4x4 Chevy that I will sell yah???? And it has NO RUST, 454, TH400, Dana 44, 14 bolt, the list goes on....
    Here are some pics of it.

15. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

Not quite a Suburban!!! Too far away. I would have to refinance my home just to drive it home.

Looks good though. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

16. KShortell

KShortell Registered Member

I'd have to second what the others have said. Plus, with the engine swap, etc., you may have some deciphering to do at some point. That would give me pause. Did the previous owner document the installation-- i.e. how they wired it and any electronics in? What are the parts #'s used? You'll need to know that kind of stuff in the future for any needed repairs. Nothing sucks more than wasting time trying to play detective on a non-stock setup with no documentation...

Good luck!

Kevin
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

17. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

Re: \'86 Suburban 1 Ton- Decision????? Long!!! UPDATE!!!!

I talked with the guy that owns the Suburban and ask a lot of questions. He answered alot of them but some left unanswered. He did say he was willing to come off the price, but how much I don't know. But if I was really interested he would work with me.

He did say I could test drive it anytime. He left the keys in the side pocket. What do you think about that? I told him that I would rather test drive it when he was around. I didn't want to be cuffed and stuffed for test driving.
    Re: '86 Suburban 1 Ton- Decision????? Long!!! UPDATE!!!!

18. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

agreed, if it was 1 ton it'd have a D60. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif price seems a lil steep too considering youd need to do quite a bit of work on the thing and those windows and body panels u would have to replace wouldnt be too cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

j

19. TK5

TK5 1/2 ton status

Re: \'86 Suburban 3/4 Ton- Decision????? UPDATE

UPDATE!!!!
    Actually the rust is not that bad. The suburban runs great and drives pretty good. I have have made my offer of $2000 cash and he's thinking pretty hard. I will know by Wednesday of this week. There is a picture of the suburban
    on Webshots.

TK5 Webshots

If someone will tell me how to post a picture here, I would appreciate it. I have tried a dozen or so times. I give up.