Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

86 To 75 Conversion help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by conoverbandit, Jan 5, 2003.

1. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

Ok I'm "researching" my avenues here, Any one put a newer type body on an older type chassis? Tips,Tricks?
    The reason being, the 86's frame is messed up. The 75 on the other hand has good frame rails just a body that's seen it's better days.I'm still partial to the 75 though,(full convertible&no emissions /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) But would like to hear from anyone that's done something like this. Thanks, Conoverbandit

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

There is a cross member that will be in the way. You will have to run some sort of a body lift to keep the newer tub from sitting right on top of the older frame. Even if you remove the crossmember that hits you will still need a bodylift. Just make sure you replace the crossmember with a cross member that is lower. This is what I ran into anyway.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I am guessing yours is the blazer we saw a day or 2 ago that has body cancer that ate almost all of the rear fender.
    If the body on the inside is OK I would just cut all the cancer and fill the void with some rubber meaning big tires /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    If if you still want to do the body swap, I would put a body lift or cut the middle cross member and adjut the body mounts to fit.