Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

86 TPI question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NoSmog73, Nov 22, 2001.

1. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

A friend was told that on an 86 iroc tpi that the 2 center bolts are going to cause the intake gasket to blow out because they go straight into the hole on the camaro (up and down) and they should be at an angle on the donor 350 to hold the right fit. Is the person that told him that blowing smoke

2. mudgrip

mudgrip Registered Member

Thats a fact. The older Chevy heads have the two center bolts at the same angle as the outer bolts. They new Center bolt valve cover heads have the center bolts straight down from the top. Chevy did make a tuned port manifold that fit the older heads but I think for only one year. It would probably be easier to find some late model heads for your donor motor. They have a smaller chamber so it will bump up your compression. Do the math for the compression ratio before you build it or you may end up with a 12 to 1 motor, not good.

3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

If I understand the jist of your question, you're all set! '85 (vette) & '86 (vette, camaro, firebird) was the years of the straight bolt TPI manifold. I believe '87 GM started with the angle bolted head/manifold. My '86 Vette (cast iron head) is definately a straight bolt.

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!