Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

86K5 Crate Motor Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eric, Jun 11, 2000.

1. Eric

Eric Registered Member

Looking to drop a new 350HO crate into my 86K5. Too many miles and not enough power!

Can I drop a 350HO crate into my 86 or was 85 the last year you could do this?

How about the GM Goodwrench Universal 350, will this drop into my 86?

If not, what is the deal?

Thanks

One eyed super fly- watch out!
    86 K5 Blazer

2. Picard

Picard Registered Member

Eric,

I have installed 2 ZZ4 crates (actually the same one twice) in a jeep and then a 78 p'up. It is much more complete than the 300hp HO and is well worth the extra money. It is the newer style with center bolt covers and one-piece rear main and should bolt up to your AOD easily. It also has some cool features like accepting the smaller hi-torq starter (for better header clearance) and the newer accessory brackets which allows for a serpentine conversion.

The pain is that you will likely need to purchase or modify your accessory drive, and depending on your carb selection (I would do the newer Edelbrock for its idle quality) the mixture adjustment is tricky. Also, despite making 350+hp, the engine is somewhat top heavy with the .520 lift cam it comes with. It is not a slug by any means, but you will have to get used to it. You will, however, get an impressive passing gear once it winds to 3000+ rpms.

Given what I learned, I would definitely go that way. You could not build a new engine to that power level and reliability for the $3K price. You could spend that screwing around with a TPI for your old 350 and never get the same results. And the ZZ idles almost as well as stock. Amazing.

Good luck on your project

Steve - 90 Warpig, SW Michigan

3. Eric

Eric Registered Member

Thanks for the info. Swapping out a 305 for a 350, can't wait for the extra horsepower.

Will I be able to drop the 350 right in, or will I have a problem since it is an 86? By the way, carburator mixture screws are sealed on current Q-jet, thinking to replace with an Edlebrock same set-up.

Thanks..

One eyed super fly- watch out!
    86 K5 Blazer