Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

87 3/4 ton burban- 6.2 diesel- Is it worth the price?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Pookster, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

This is the post:

GMC 1987 SUBURBAN Excellent condition, auto, 78k mi, orig. 6.2L 3/4 ton diesel, trailer pkg, A/C, gas shocks, P/W, trailer mirrors, tinted glass, cruise, lge gas tank, $3995

My intent with the vehicle-: General people transporter, with gear. Ability to tow my trailer with a maxium weight of 5500 LBS. (car trailer with race car).

What do you all think? Is the price high? Any problems I should be aware of? I really want a diesel, I always have, but with gas prices the way they are... I really neeed a diesel!

2. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Is it a 4x4? Depending on the body, i would say it was worth it, Ask the owner if he has any reciepts for it. They say 80k is the mark when you should think about replacing the injectors and pump, but i know many people that have gone way past that. There is a guy here locally that has 200+k on his and he just developed hot start problems. As for things to look for- When you start it up make sure the engine is cold; this way you can see if the glow system is working. This will also alllow to see what color the exhaust gas is if its white it could have a head gasket/head problem, blueish gray rtings could be going bad, alot of black smoke and rough running would be some starting system problems. Maybe you can find a member close to you that knows diesels? Diesels really arent that bad or expensive, people just don't understad them. hope this helps alittle.
    cheers

3. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a good deal if its a 4x4. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

it's a steel if its a 4x4, still a good deal for a 4x2.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    it's a steel if its a 4x4, still a good deal for a 4x2.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that

6. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Hell I'd fly (can not express how much I <font color="red"> HATE</font> to fly) there and buy it if you didn't. Then again, I don't have the $ anyway. After all I drove to Ogden, UT for my 6.2 K5. Now my wife wants just what you found!

(Don't tell her, she might come get it!!!)

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Let me ask you guys this- how do you tell whether he has that mileage, or he just forgot to mention the 1 or 2 in front of that number?! Back then the odometer only had 5 digits. I mean, I'll look for the obvious signs, but...

8. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Try www.carfax.com/, if it changed owners then the mileage wil be listed. Thats wht I did with mine.

9. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Let me ask you guys this- how do you tell whether he has that mileage, or he just forgot to mention the 1 or 2 in front of that number?! Back then the odometer only had 5 digits.

[/ QUOTE ]

My '84 has 6 digits... 278,000 and counting /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW: I paid $3400 for my Burb about a year ago. Not a perfect truck by any means; but the injection pump, glow plugs, and th400 had all been done in the last two years (receipts to prove it). I could have had an 87 6.2L K20 Burb for half the money, but very rotted, higher mileage, and none of the maintenance. Since I was shopping for a DD, I needed the reliability. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

10. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My '84 has 6 digits... 278,000 and counting

[/ QUOTE ] My 84 has 5 digits also is yours in kilometers?

11. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My 84 has 5 digits also is yours in kilometers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah... That'll be it /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif