Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

87 350 TBI issues..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by my87Half-ton k5, Jan 15, 2006.

1. my87Half-ton k5

my87Half-ton k5 Registered Member

ok well heres the deal as far as narrowing my tbi problems down..so far i have bought the tbi rebuild kit and installed about half of it....changed injectors to the proper ones...swapped the injector plugs and spliced them into the rest of the wiring blah blah blah...finally i have no leaks in the tbi tower and my injectors arent dripping ,theyre spraying damn nice now...and at first it seemed as though the truck was fixed.but noo, nothing good comes my way that easy. so i fire it up...starts good but for the freezing temp. it is outside, it's idling kinda low and trippin the check engine light...but throttle response is great and i figure theres some crap in it trippin the check engine light..so its idling and idling and suddenly it revs up and then starts to misfire just a bit so i run to the cab just as the check engine light goes out and then i notice black smoke starting to come out of the tailpipes and it starts doing the same **** as it was before except the injectors are not dripping they just look like theyre at full or close to full throttle..but no leaks of any kind in any of the new gaskets..so i call my buddy up and hes says check the IAC valve.so i pull it out and see that the rod with the spring is fully retracted ( and yes i replaced the IAC gasket)
    so im like w/e i had never seen the inside of one before. so then i pull the IAC valve out of my extra 92 TBI body and note that it's extended ...the funny thing is that i cant move either of them by hand...is this normal or do i have 2 different bad valves or what? am i even looking in the right place? it just seemed that when the truck started to warm up and it changed running cycles that thats when the problem occured...but the check engine light going out and then the problem starting, thats just plain weird...
    HELP MEEEE

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Be very careful about trying to move the pintel of the valve or you will break the valve. It is a motor so you cannot just move it, that is what the electrical wiring to the ECM is for.

3. my87Half-ton k5

my87Half-ton k5 Registered Member

well is there any reason one is extended and the other isnt?