Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

87 700R4; no TV cable ?!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Aug 24, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

uhhm in 87 did they not use a TV cable on the C-10 trucks ?? there is not one that i can see on this one here, just throttle cable and cruise rod and thats it

hum

thanks

2. adamforsythe

adamforsythe 1/2 ton status

Hello,
    I don't know if chevy changed the 700R4s in '87 (computers ), but I know on my '86 there was one (THERE HAS TO BE ONE). If there was no TV cable tranny fluid would piss out just as fast as you can put it in. Get under the truck and look at the side of the tranny on the pass side you should see a cable coming from the tranny right by the bell housing.
    Thanks
    Adam

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

All 700r4/4l60 have a TV cable. An 87 with 700R4 should have a TV cable. Unless someone swapped a 4l60E and compatable ECM in it. Are you sure it has a 700R4? Someone also may have swapped in a TH 400 they have an electic downshift with no cable.

4. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

i have driven a 700 that had no tv hooked up that guy told me that it had a stage 3 shift kit with a part left out to allow it to shift on it's own :dunno: It worked when i drove it and shifted pretty but i do not think that tranny would have lasted very long. also a 350 or 400 might have been swaped in to it. The electronic 700 did not come out until 93

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

im just gonna have to look and make sure its still the 700r4 i guess, but th400 would be the only other option since th350 are cable too

something is funny here.,.

hum

yeah without a cable the 700r4 will run up high into the gear and then CRASH into next one, i bought an 84 Z28 once with the cable disconnected and it did this and the idiot previous owner said oh its gbot a shift kit in it :doah:

so i poped the hood and connected the cable back to the carb and it drove like a normal 700r4 then

ppl..

never cease to amuse me..

thanks

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

well ill be damned its M40 TH400

thats freakin cool :D

i did not know GM put M40 in the 80s c-10s, i could have sworn they reserved them for the 350ci C-20 and larger

thats interesting as hell

thanks

7. Dain Fraser

Dain Fraser Registered Member

Whats a TV cable?

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

throttle valve cable it conrols all the shifts by the throttle positions in which pulls a cable and moves a valve in the valve body inside the tranny, controls when and how fast it shifts

700r4 and 2004r are like this

not th350 or others

9. Dain Fraser

Dain Fraser Registered Member

Hmmm good to know, I just dropped a 700r4 into place where my th350 used to be (blew it Up :mad: ). I also went for one of those B&M floor shifters, installed it in place of my stock security console. Anyway, the guy who did most of the complicated stuff for me kept throwing the term around and I just kept smiling and nodding.

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

And if they are not adjusted properly, you'll burn 'em up too :doah:

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yep has to be 100% set right or you can end up with burnt trans

to set the TV cable on these you have to depress thge cable housing lock D button at the intake bracket and pull the cable housing rear wards all the way and then let go of the lock button and turn the throttle all the way wide open and then let go, this will pull some of the cable it will make clicking noise and this will be the setting

done

time to drive it

theres only one setting and theres no "adjustment"

good luck

12. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ok Q about a thm250C TV cable setting

i depressed the lockbutton and pulled the cable housing all the way back,
    that went well

but when i open the throttle WOT by hand under the hood at the carb it does not pull ANY of the housing forward and therefore no cable housing movement clicks

what is wrong ?

cable too long ?

im afraid that the cable is not being pulled out far enough when driving, itg has no kickdown and sometimes it skip jumps shifting from 2-3 or 3-4 im not sure which, but pretty sure its 2-3 shift thats wierd now and then, its like a slip in the shift but its not,

thanks

13. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Your cable is stretched. Go and get a new one.

I just went through that whole song and dance with my 89, and trust me, it wasn't fun. New cable was 30 bucks up here, so yours would be like 15 - 20 bucks, and it totally fixed all my tranny problems, and all my worries as well.

All you need to do to set the cable is to press the D, shove it as far towards the firewall as possible, then open the throttle blades as far open as you can. The TV cable will do the rest. TV cables don't need to be "adjusted" at all, set it like above, and don't touch it after that.

By the way, make sure that you open the throttle blades by hand, not using the pedal. 60% of vehicle's throttle cables are stretched as well, and don't open the throttle blades all the way. Its very important to make sure that the TV cable is set to the carb / throttle body's WOT, not nessessarily the pedal's WOT

14. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

How does it shift from 3-4 , thm250c is lockup , but only 3 speeds . And why would it have a TV cable ? Its almost a th350 , except for the way second gear works :D

TH200 and TH2004R has a TV cable though .

Last edited: Sep 13, 2005
  15. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

TH400's fairly common

Even 1/2 ton 2wd trucks got the TH400 fairly often..I've seen several C10's with 250 and 292 sixes that had them factory! :eek1: --had to crawl under a few customers trucks at the parts store to see what was really in them for a tranny,when the WIX catalog listed only the TH350 for six banger!..saw a few 305's with them too..maybe GM ran out of TH350's and they stuck TH400's in instead,most of the trucks I saw with the TH400's were nothing fancy,or heavy duty about them.. :confused: :crazy: Wish they had used more TH400's in 4x4's.. :rolleyes:

16. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

One of the guys I used to work with had a 81-86 C10 stepside (I don't remember the exact year, but know it had a square hood and was carbed).

I couldn't beleive it, but it had a TH400 behind a V6. I almost lost money on that one as I was going to bet him there was no way a half ton 2WD would have a TH400. I'm glad I kept my mouth shut..... :crazy:

17. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

oh crap Pauly youre right LOL

omg....

damn metric trannies, threw me off, i ws dealing with a 700r4 last and i guess my mind is still on that one, lol.

yeh its just a three speed small version of th350

damn

my bad lol

theres still a problem though it shifts into all gears too soon especialyl with the 2.73 AND it wont kickdown, even when floored

so something isnt right.

but normally it shifts, fine, quick, no delay, etc

but now and then it will goof on shift real quick, just out of the blue,

just is all too early, too low of vehicle speed, and evne with the cable all way pulled back in its bracket,

hmm..

what do you think ?

and on the th400 in the 80s c-10s yeah i dunno what the deal is, maybe they did run out of th350's but i dont see how they could have in the 80s when there were alot of 700r4 being installed

i see th400 in virtually ALL the auto trans equipped 80s C and K20 trucks, but never have heard of or seen this trans in an `80s c-10, i had no idea GM did or would have, especially in just a little old light duty one,
    i wonder what was going on in the 80s with trannies, hmm.

and i would think- if there ever could have been a th350 shortage- it would have been in 81 and older years before 700r4 and 2004r days

same deal with the carter and rochester Q jet dilemma in the later 70`s

roch was short so carter came in and made a bunch of rochesters, so both are around, i find both all the time, they are identical cept one says roch and others say carter

thanks

18. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

TH350 kickdown is via the kickdown cable, so something wrong there if it won't downshift based on pedal.

Shifting too soon is likely the governor, I expect it came out of something with better than 2.73 gears?