Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

87' - 91' Burb Engine Mounts 2x & 4x The Same

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AZ_Overdrive, Apr 29, 2006.

1. AZ_Overdrive

AZ_Overdrive 1/2 ton status

Hey, just made an interesting discovery. Not sure if it has been posted here before.

I am under my Burb, swapping out engine mounts. Picked up new clamshells at Checker for 4x4. Took off the old mounts and they are flat bottom, 2wd. Well, guess what. The 4x4 mounts don't fit. The bolt holes in the frame brackets (bottom center) are way off (too long and not in the center). So, I am fuming. Well, call up the Chevy dealer and beg for some insite and he informes me that from 87 to 91 SUBURBANS, the engine mounts are the same for both 2wd and 4wd. Not sure of K5's but he definately said that they are the same for the Burb. He knew EXACTLY what and why I was asking that question.

I can post a few pics if anyone is interested. BTW, do yourself a favor and CHECK YOUR ENGINE MOUNTS. Mine were metal on metal and the rubber was wasted.

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

i found when replacing the mounts in my 2wd that there is only one way they go in, the bolt holes are different from top to bottom,,,you didn't try to install them upside down, did you?

3. AZ_Overdrive

AZ_Overdrive 1/2 ton status

Nope. I noticed that too. Autozone had the correct mount in their computer. Complete mount with clamshell were $9 each. Went right in. Checker's computer has the wrong part numbers. And yes, there is plenty of clearance under the harmonic balancer with the new mounts.