Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

87-91 Fuel sending unit repair....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5 NUTT, May 21, 2003.

1. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Okay ladies and germs...seems i have found a way to fix these $250 sending units...so far i've fixed three...so here's the skinny for all of you with the fuel gauge needle with a mind of its own routine...

Once tank is removed...lock ring rotated...remove sending unit....locate the two T10 torx screws on the side of the sending unit portion of the unit...under the torx bolts that are usually loose and backed out...you will find two small springs...usually black in color...and half of the problem. Once removed clean the springs with contact cleaner and or scotch brite pads...they work the best...then the plastic piece that holds the actual board with all the small wires on it can be cleaned with contact cleaner...you can use the scotch brite to clean the wires "GENTLY"....and clean the arm that moves across the board...the last thing to clean is on the sending unit body itself...next to one of the two screw holes is a piece of metal that contects to the main body of the sending unit...clean this with a small flat tiped screw stick....like the snap on one thats allways in my pocket...then put it all back together...don't crank down all the way on the screws as the springs allow for some give...but tight enough to keep the arm tight on the board...then get out your DVOM..set to ohms...measure from the purple wire and the black wire while slowly moving the float arm...should be 2-4 ohms thru 88-92 ohms...clean and steady...add new pump and strainer...put together and pat yourself on the back...you just saved $250!!!

DW /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm going to let Moose know about this one, I think you just saved him from spending some cash (with me) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

What...crazy nicks garage doesn't have one laying around...crazy dougs has one...repaired in the 40 gallon flavor...

4. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

Gettie Upp! Damn Doug you should be living in Phoenix still. You know how I am with this technical crap. LOLO. Hell I wish I didn't live here /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Once the burb is 100% we plan on taking a ride down that way to visit ya all....ya know how email and a phone work ya boob? I'm not that far away just ask nick...