Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

87-91 stock sub exhaust hanger pics (updated)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JIMs70K25, Aug 9, 2006.

1. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

Hopefully someone won't mind shooting some pics of their stock exhaust hangers on an 87-91 burb. I'm replacing a custom cat-back exhaust w/ a dynomax cat-back exhaust that uses the stock hangers. There should be 3: between the cat/muffler, after the muffler and after the rear axle. I still have parts of the brackets on the frame, i just want to see how they were mounted to the pipe. Thanks,

Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  2. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

Anybody?

3. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Mine arnt stock or id help you out

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Sorry you haven't got more info yet, but I can tell you how my K5 diesel stuff is set up.

All the brackets were riveted (now bolted since I added them)to the frame, and all BUT the muffler brackets themselves use a clamp around the pipe. The forward brackets (they'd be between the cat and muffler) use a cast iron half circle piece, along with a U-bolt around the rest of the pipe.

The muffler hangs off an L shaped piece of flat metal that bolts to a bracket on the back of the muffler, locking in with a small tab so the muffler can't rotate on the single bolt. Bolted to the frame is an arm that has a square end, which contains a square rubber isolator. The L-bracket slides through the center of the square rubber piece and hangs from that.

I can't recall exactly how the last hangar is setup, but I do believe it's another riveted to the frame hangar, which uses a stamped steel half moon piece that locks into the a half moon piece welded to the hangar. There is a slot on the hangar half, and a bent "ear" on the lower piece that fits through the slot on the hangar half. Once the lower piece is in the slot, it's pulled up against the pipe, and aligns with a hole on the other side of the hangar half, which a bolt passes through, and uses a nut to tighten the two halves against the pipe. Going to go look to see if any of my pics are good enough to help you.

I would suspect a Suburban uses a similar setup than my K5.

http://dyeager535.topcities.com/partsmanual.html Check the K5 true dual exhaust pic, it's actually pretty decent.

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

1990 3/4 ton Suburban - Exhaust is bone stock AFAIK -

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  6. cbbr

7. cbbr

8. cbbr

9. cbbr

10. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys that's exactly what I wanted to see/hear. But come to find out the kit summit has listed to fit a 4wd, dynomax says only fits a 2wd. So I called summit and they are suppose to correct the site. I have to send the damn thing back. The sucky part I had all ready cut the old exhaust off! Oh well, I guess it's custom again.

cbbr, is the exhaust 3" all the way to the tail pipe?

11. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

Well I drove it one day with a 18" pipe coming off of the cat. Sounded like ****. So yesterday I went to pep boys and bought the only 3" in/out muffler they had, a flowmaster series 40. Damn it sounds good now, I plan on having a local shop bend me a tailpipe on wednesday.