Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

87 Blazer Radio

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigd652, Jan 22, 2004.

1. bigd652

bigd652 Registered Member

Need to take the radio out of my old girl. Radio has seen better days. Anyways after close inspection... how in the heck do you get the thing out???? Thanks in advance...

D

2. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

It's been a while since I took mine out but if I remember corrrectly you need to remove the dash bezel to access it. Then there should be 4 screws that hold it in place. There is also a bracket that supports it from the bottom in the rear (up underneath the dash).

3. mattjensen

mattjensen Registered Member

You should be able to remove the gauge cluster. (to do so you should have to remove the knobs for the radio) Once the dash is removed you should see the nuts on tuner and volume shafts, remove those and then the final bracket from the rear of the unit. In some cases you may have to remove the heater ducting before you can gain access. If you plan on putting a new style radio (din) then you i find that a die grinder works great to cust the metal dash and dremel for the plastics. Good Luck.

4. bigd652

Anyone know of a good replacement radio. I don't really want to cut the dash and would like to stay with a 2 post radio or maybe put one in the center console... Anybody ever done that before?

5. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I have a Kenwood 2 post radio that fits the stock hole. PM me if you're interested. Actually I have another cheap junky one for free if you want that one.

6. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

call crutchfield for your replacement - those tech support guys are on their game. thay will give you all adapter harness that you will need and everything will hook right up. i used them a few months back when replacing my setup and they answered every question and all the items that they sent worked perfect. some of the best customer support that i have ever experienced. you may want to check out the audio section below as well....

7. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

ive built center consoles that housed radios and then we used to black out the dash where the original was...IMO if you want good sound and performance just cut it and go...thats what i did on my 88 and im about to do in my 74

Later

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm with you on not cutting up the dash. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Check with Pioneer. I know people have pesonal preferences, and I'm not expressing mine, but I *think* they mke drop in replacements for at least Corvettes, so perhaps they make a drop in replacement for the trucks.

Most or all GM cars in the 80's after '85 or so used the type of radio you have, so there SHOULD be something out there aftermarket that is made for the application.

9. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

LMC and I belive ChevyDuty both sell a nice shafted unit that controls a 10 disc changer as well.
    From what I saw they preform rather well and look rather stock as well, so as not to attract attention from would be theives.

I did get a shell for an overhead CB mount and stuck my head unit on the ceiling for a while until I got the steelhorse shelf. Then I mounted it on that with a custom ABS plastic face to keep it looking clean. After that got ripped off too I'm going back to a shaft style unit from the above stated sorces.

IMO if your not competeing with your system there is no real reason to hack up you dash. There are just too many other options. But thats just my opinion after hacking two dashes to no avail.

10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

With the lmc radios you pay an arm and a leg for a kenwood with out the name showing. Could buy a kenwood and adjust shaft spacing yourself and save 250 bucks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. bigd652

I just wanted to tell all of you that I just got this truck about a month ago and I found this site and for this being my first post I just wanted to thank all of you for your help. This is by far the best automotive forum I've ever been on. So from me to all of you I thank you......

D