Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

87' blazer...runs for a few secs., sputters, and dies.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rjfguitar, Jan 13, 2004.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

87\' blazer...runs for a few secs., sputters, and dies.

I am looking at an 87' blazer right now for a second vehicle but there is just 1 prob with it. Some asshat punched 3 holes in the gas tank with a screw driver and when we tried to fire it up it would run fine for about 20 to 30 seconds when it is cold and then it will start to sputter and die. I tried firing it back up again and it won't start then, wait an hour or 2 and then it will run again for 20 to 30 seconds.

We patched the 3 holes with decent success with only one hole dripping now, I dumped about 2.5 gallons of gas in it, it started and ran for about 45 seconds then died again.. Is it as simple as 2.5 gallons not being enough for the pump to pick it up? It 's the larger 31 gal. tank. and I can hear the pump running for about 20 seconds with the ignition on but then it shuts off, it is supposed to do that right?
    Is a senser telling the comuter to shut it off? I'm confused! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Oh and It's mine for 1,300 bucks if I wan't it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

Re: 87\' blazer...runs for a few secs., sputters, and dies.

Sounds like a fuel pick-up problem of some sort. The 20 sec run time for the pump is about right, the fuel pump needs to complete a "latch" circuit thru the oil pressure sensor (not sending unit). If I remember correctly, you can jumper the orange/grey wires in that connector together and get the pump to run. That ought to keep it running. It may also be the pickup filter is plugged with junk that got in those 3 holes.

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

any chance the screwdriver stabbing caught the pickup and knocked it outta whack?

4. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    any chance the screwdriver stabbing caught the pickup and knocked it outta whack?

[/ QUOTE ]
    No because the holes are on both sides of the tank and the pump is in the middle as far as I know.

5. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like a fuel pick-up problem of some sort. The 20 sec run time for the pump is about right, the fuel pump needs to complete a "latch" circuit thru the oil pressure sensor (not sending unit). If I remember correctly, you can jumper the orange/grey wires in that connector together and get the pump to run. That ought to keep it running. It may also be the pickup filter is plugged with junk that got in those 3 holes.

[/ QUOTE ]Where do I find the 2 wires and where's the filter? You men't just touch the 2 wires right?
    Thanks guys

6. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

I guess I left out the most important part. The connector that plugs into the relay that runs the fuel pump to "prime" the system is where you can jumper it. That relay is located on the firewall above and to the left of the distributor. Unplug the connector and you should be able to jumper it there.Have somebody back at the tank to listen for the pump to run. That ought to get it going. If the pump runs and it won't stay running, I'd guess the pickup is plugged or the filter is plugged. Good luck.

7. rjfguitar

OK, so if I jump the wires and it stays running than what's wrong with it? What do I need to change?

8. rjfguitar

wheres the filter?

9. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Filter on my '91 is on the inside of the right hand chassis rail about midships! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Filter on my '91 is on the inside of the right hand chassis rail about midships! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]thanks!

11. s373n_rcr

s373n_rcr Registered Member

I know the wifes 72' Bug will do the same thing with a dirty fuel filter. Simplest thing but the first I would look at. Also, the material you used to plug the holes or even rust particles could be enough to fill the fuel filter with garbage. Just an idea. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    I know the wifes 72' Bug will do the same thing with a dirty fuel filter. Simplest thing but the first I would look at. Also, the material you used to plug the holes or even rust particles could be enough to fill the fuel filter with garbage. Just an idea. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]I am leaning that way. Another thing... If there was something wrong with the system that is electrical...wouldn't the check engine light be on because the computer shuts it off? Reason for asking is because when it will run for a few seconds there is no check engine light on.

13. rjfguitar

I just talked to the owner of the truck and he is having someone scan for codes right as I type.

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Not parked on a hill is it? You can't get fuel into the pickup "baffle" if it's on a hill and you don't fill it a fair amount. (have to be a fairly steep hill, but if the tank was empty, 2.5 gallons isn't much in a 31 gallon tank)

Fuel pump should only run like *2* seconds as I recall, without seeing actual oil pressure. (meaning if you don't start it, the fuel pump should shut off fairly quickly) It only turns on in that key position to pressurize the lines, nothing more.

15. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Maybe the holes ended up in the tank after sever frustration that the fuel pump was bad. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. rjfguitar

It's on perfectly flat ground and the pump runs for about 20 seconds with the ignition on but not running. I have oil pressure when the motor is running. I am waiting to hear from the guy that ran the codes and if none come up than it has to be as simple as the filter.