Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

87' blazer service engine soon lite/code 12

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by big d, Mar 7, 2002.

1. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

87\' blazer service engine soon lite/code 12

picked up an 87' blazer with 305 fi over the weekend. seems to run fine, guages read ok, but recently seems to sometimes start hard. going to give it a complete tune up soon. not long after i got it home, the service engine soon lite came on, and it stays on. comes on not long after starting up. took it to autozone and they pluged in the little key thing into computer port and told me code 12 but really couldnt tell me much more. they said it has to be taken to a garage and ran a diagnistic on. anybody else tell me what the problem could be and save me money and time ? the autozone guys said it could be a oxygen sensor or even a loose wire. thanks ahead of time for any and all help.

2. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Re: 87\' blazer service engine soon lite/code 12

Code 12 is just the diagnostic mode. It signifies the end of the cycle. If thats all you have in stored in the computer then there is not a problem "according" to the computer. Pull you battery cable to reset the computer. Then see if it re-lites the check eng. light.

3. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

cool , ill try that. thanks alot.

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Tori is right.

Just a suggestion for the future - since you now have an FI vehicle (good job /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif) you might want to consider getting yourself a scanner - http://www.autoxray.com has a nice unit that costs about $150 that is SO useful on diagnosing codes or just drivability problems that are not throwing a code.