Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

87 Blazer stallin and spittin

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BloodPod, Jul 15, 2005.

1. BloodPod

BloodPod Registered Member

Up to a cpl of days ago was running good. Then all of the sudden it started to stall when i would slow to a stop. As soon as i turned the key it would start right up. how ever it has gotten progressively worse over the course of two days. I now have it stall as i stop or just after i had applied the throttle heavy and it starts to buck and die. It reminds me of a plugged CATALYTIC (sp)
    However it only seems to do this in the after noon the other morning i drove it i had no problems. Seems the heat has an effect on this.
    I was gettin a Code 22 and did change the TPS sensor. Still getting code 22. I also changed the fuel filter,map sensor, any ideas yall? Oh yea it does look like it is burning rich alot of soot buildup in the exhaust pipe. also when i get on the gas it spits black smoke.

Chevy 350 TBI 1987

2. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

I had something similar to that once. I duno what code it was throwing but it ended up being an injector.

3. BloodPod

thanks i will look into that first thing in the morning. I appreciate it.

4. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a vacume leak to me.

5. BloodPod

well I have changed the injectors didnttt help, as soon as it leaves aprox. the 140 degree mark it starts to do it again. I also checked everywhere i could think of for a vac leak and didnt find one.. I am about to call it quits on this damn truck. i have never had this much troubleshooting it. :mad:

Anyone else think of anything even something stupid would be cool with me right now..

Could anything else like the tranny or anything affect the truck in this way? like being really low on tranny fluid? Just noticed that while changing the injectors.

p.s. Did i say it runs great until it reaches the temp stated above. Runs like there is no problem then aprox 140 degree it just spits, sputters, chugs and dies with a big wheeze.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

if not vacuum leake somewhere(test for leak by spraying carb cleaner or similar arounf tbi base and such) then test the TPS range and remove and clean the IAC motor and the hole in the TBI unit it threads into

good luck

7. gravydog

gravydog Registered Member

a friend of mine had a problem like that in his 87 short bed it also threw code 22. so we replaced the tps and didn't help. that led me to belive that the distributer was at falt. what some times happens is the coil in the electronic dist. will short to power and get hot and slowly kill the ignition. if you let it cool it will start up and run fine but only die out agian when it gets hot. so far I have fun into this problem twice and each time the problem was fixed. now im not 100 percent sure but it is something to look into

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Replace your distributor module. Get a GM one.

9. rooferbret

rooferbret 1/2 ton status

X2 :D

10. BloodPod

I will check all that out thanks.. I had talked to a chevy tech. and he suggested both the injectors or something on the distrib. were at fault so sounds like yall are helping me get on the right track thanks.

11. gmcjimmy90

gmcjimmy90 Registered Member

replace the temp sensor ( not the temp sending unit for the gauge) it should be right behind the thermostat housing in the intake. I had to replace mine because when it warmed up it would start missing,

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Pretty sure I've got the TBI troubleshooting code charts, if you want to approach fixing this problem the right way.

Or, you can spend well over $100 on parts that may or may not be faulty.

13. BloodPod

Well all i have left now is the distributor to check.. Ive changed all the sensors/and checked them according to truck manuals.. Everything checks out.. Now im pretty sure it is the pickup coil. Had the ignition mod. checked at the dealer and it checked good so brought it to local AZ and had them check as well and was checked as good.
    So hopefully this weekend i can get that done and that will be the end of this crap.

Thanks again for the help.

P.S. only code im getting or have gotten was code 22 Tps sensor.. (Low) if i remember correctly

14. BloodPod

Well i got it running it ended up being the pickup coil,after all the other stuff tried.. But she is finally runnin again. Thanks for all the help