Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

87 blazer with AUX HEATER fuse open

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jjlaughner, Sep 24, 2002.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

OK, I hate cold weather, is there an ELECTRIC heater (GM or otherwise) to boost the temp in my blazer that goes into this AUX HEATER spot I have open in the fuze box? I got a 130amp alt, bring on the heat! 87 K5 350 TBI with open AUX HEATER fuse! Jeremiah

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

My Haynes manual shows an Aux. heater on 'burbs. The harness plugs into the fuse box. It seems to have a seperate control switch, the heater unit mounts in the passenger rear corner. It has water lines that "T" into the main heater lines running all the way to the rear. I would check the salvage yards in your area and try to get the whole setup. Or try someting like this:
    Mojave heater

3. jjlaughner

Very cool, I need to find something in the next month or two. My blazer doesn't get real warm (despite the LAYERS of insulation) and the blower motor seems weak? I also blow the AC high cutout switch all the time in the summer. I just got a, new to me, blower from my cousin I put it in but it just doesn't seem to be real powerful either. This truck doesn't warm up like my 97 Yukon! Thanks for the post, I'll look into that heater, Maybe I can totally replace the factory heater with something?

4. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Some of the surburbans had the option of rear heat. I saw one in a burb. It was this litte black heater behind the third seat and up against the right side of the vehicle. It even said Delco on it so I knew it was factory. Maybe you culd find one of those and use it for the factory look.

5. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

the chevy van as theme too got a complete kit (heater core,boxy thing,all the hose,the dash switch,the vacuum control valve and all the clamp to hold the hose under the truck for.....0$ just had to pull it of myself.
    the kit that i have got a vacuum valve on it to close the colant when u close the switch.
    just have to put it in before winter...yeah right!!!maybe next year /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

J.C.Whitney sells a AUX heaters.
    I would start looking at problems with you blower unit and possibly a clogged up heater core. On both my K5's once they get up to temp I have plenty of heat for the front but it is a big vehicle and the rear does tend to stay a little cooler.
    The way the heat works in these trucks is there is ALWAYS coolant running through the heater core. There is a Blend door located on the heater box behind the glove box. It is what the hot cold slider on the controls moves. With the glove box door off the cable is on the top of that box behind the glove box is the one that is the blend door control. 9/32's for the bolt I believe. Check that and see if your getting full swing on the door.
    Also too low of thermostat also effect the heat. If your running lower temps in the winter then you may want to put a 195degree degree thermostat in. Now what most people don't understand about a thermostat is that the temp rating is full open not just opening. A 160degree thermostat may be half open by 130degrees. I run 180's in my carb trucks and when it gets real cold here I stick a peice of cardboard over half the grill to get the temp up a little more.

7. jjlaughner

Thanks for the heads up, I think I run 165 or 170 Therostat year round. The heater in the truck never has been real great and I'm thinking I done new heater core the year I got it (about 5 years ago, I traded blazers with my father and he baught it new; so I have grown up in this truck... Thats why it does not get modified and go for wild rides... Thats my next project blazer). This truck is my everyday driver of 650 miles a week! Thanks again, I forgot about JC whiteny I haven't received a catalon in ages! Jeremiah

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

WAY to low of a thermostat for a Fuel injected truck. The truck is probably not getting hot enough for the computer to go into closed loop. 195 is what GM recomends for that truck year round. A motor running around 200-210 is fine. All new trucks run that temp. You will probably notice an improbement in fuel economy with the higher temp thermostat.

9. jjlaughner

I'll have to watch the temp gauge next time I go head to work. I got looking through some of my paper work and reciepts for the truck I found receipts for 190 and 175 thermostats. Maybe the 165-175's I was thinking was in my 83 blazer, its was a carbed truck. I'll definately go ahead and replace it since we are headed into fall and I'm going to drop the glove box and check that door, I can hear it open and close when the vaccum hits it though. One thing I have noticed is that the heater control will not slide all the way to hot it get within about a half inch and it gets real hard to move then it slides itself back a little. I have had the dash apart for the past week replacing speakers and doing some wiring, I checked on the heat lever but not see any thing blocking it. OH, I just put in a new dash pad also... NO CRACKS! thanks again, Jeremiah