Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

87 Blazer ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by B-rad, Jul 2, 2006.

1. B-rad

B-rad Registered Member

I do not know much about this but I am thinking about buying an 87 Blazer with 92000 miles. I guess I just need some advice on what to look for on whether or not it is a good truck. Everything works on it except the gas gauge and the guy also said it needs a steering stabilizer. Are either one of these things a big deal on a Blazer. And about how much would it cost to get those.

2. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

biggest thing to look for is rust

gas gauge is probably the sender(in the tank), drop tank, replace sender($100-$200)

3. B-rad

B-rad Registered Member

there wasn't much rust at all. There was it looked like some a little on corners of the body and underneath there wasn't really much at all that I noticed. I know rust is a big thing and if I wanted to get rid of it how would I go about doing that. Could i just replace panels or is that more trouble than its worth.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

a steering stabilizer is just a shock attached to your tie rod that covers up steering problems. Its possible that something else is wrong with it other than just needing a new shock.

At any rate, the two most $pendy parts on the truck are the engine and tranny... I'd focus mainly on them if I was you. If you aren't a guru, take it to a shop before you buy. Most normal auto shops have a "pre-purchase" inspection they will do for ya... costs like $50 and could help you avoid a very costly mistake.

j

5. B-rad

B-rad Registered Member

Well, what I want to do is restore the entire thing, somewhat, to use as a daily driver. So in all if the thing doesn't have to much rust and is in decent condition, is it worth it.

6. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

OK I am restoring a 1987 from out of North Dakota. Here are the places to look for rust. BTW the 1987 seems to go on eBay for $1,300 - $3,800 (basic rust - very good) New paint and no rust can go as high $8,000. I have been saving the auctions and printing for my insurance company.
    1. Remove the rear carpet and check the area at the very back by tail gate.
    2. Check area over the rear Axel tubs and floor.
    3. Remove the door scuff plate (over lip of front carpet/mat to rocker). Look where the wires run under it.
    4. Check are where the front floor pan raises to the rear seat. Where the seat belts bolt to side for driver and pass.
    5. Floor pan in front feet area by angle going up toward firewall.
    6. wheel well lips and inner drain holes.
    7. Rockers (feel under them).
    8. The edges of the doors on bottom.
    9. Tail gate along the bottom.
    10.Front inner fenders.

I am sure others will have something to say about the above. I have spent two years looking at Blazers and base this on the rotted and the three I have two are swiss cheese.

The gas gauge is simple: (check dash gauge first)
    1.Take the dash bezel off.
    2. Remover the clear plastic off cluster.
    3. Remove the black cover trim.
    4.Remove the screw holding in gauge.
    5. Pull gauge out.
    6. Put replacement in. (check it before you put it all together)

Rust restore when you replace paint everything underneath with Rust Bullet http://coloradok5.com/rustbulletreview.shtml
    Email me if you have questions

REMEMBER: to let me know via email if you plan to come to the East coast get together eastcoast-k5@hotmail.com
    Screen name
    real first name
    email

7. B-rad

B-rad Registered Member

That was some good info. Now, what is the first thing I should do to start the process of restoring. Meaning, what should I start out doing or does it really make a difference

8. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

OK B what you need to do is determine what your comfortable with doing your self based on your skills. I would suggest a good cleaning to see just what you need and its condition. I determine what I needed and started looking at eBay.

LMC Truck http://www.lmctruck.com/ is one place and you can get a free catalog. Here is another one to http://www.ajgeneral.com/chevy_gm_truck_parts/ I bought the parts I knew I needed and then started out by replacing the headers and putting on true dual exhaust with turbo mufflers (no cat conv). I then started on the sandable rust spots.

Next step I will take is metal replacement, front fenders and changing over to newer four head lights and grill. I will help you in any way I can B-rad just ask what ever you need.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007