Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

87 chevy back up light switch replacement

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Silverado_K5, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Silverado_K5

Silverado_K5 1/2 ton status

I have changed back up light switches in 74's and 77 Chevy's before, but not in the 81-up Chevy's. One the older ones there were screws that held the switch onto the column, but on my 87 I'm having a hard time seeing how it comes out. Anyone changed one with the column still bolted up under the dash? My manual doesn't show any pics of it's removal. I do know it has to be in neutral to install it so it can shear the little pin in the switch though. Thanks for the help. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Doug /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. Silverado_K5

What the heck? Hasn't anybody changed a back up light switch in the 81-up Chevy's? Come on I need back up lights, it's hard to back up in certain places in the dark.

Thanks,
    Doug

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Mine just screwed in.

4. Silverado_K5

What year is your rig? My 87 "doesn't" have mounting screws to hold the switch in place, and I can't see how to remove the old one off of the steering column with it in the pickup.

Thanks,
    Doug

5. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

My 82 has two screws holding the switch on the column. They're behind the switch itself. Not sure how it's put together on the 87.