Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

87 dash question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by readymix, May 30, 2004.

1. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

First post here, Great forum and tons of info.

I just bought a 1987 Longbed with a 305 V8/SM465/NP208. Axles are D60 4.56 open and a 14 FF 4.56 Detroit.

The first thing i am trying to fix up is a hole in the dash that some PO cut. It is under the radio location and looks like crap. What i am going to do is weld the hole shut but i can't figure out how to get the dash out. The part that is giving me trouble is where the dash goes under the windshield gasket. Do i need to remove the windshield for this to come out, or should i use a little brute force and ignorance /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

BTW there is no AC or power anything in it

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Lets see, you probably have the gauges and stuff our right?

little rusty, haven't had a dash pad for oh, 5 years now lol.

Make sure to get the one screw in the PS of the dash, against the door. Once you've got all the screws out, I believe you just pull it towards you, and up a bit. There are metal spring clips that fit into the metal of the dash that sometimes bind up.

I'd hate to have you rip your dash up though, perhaps someone that has messed around with one lately has better guidance.

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I already have the dash pad off. I am talking about the metal piece under it.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The part that is giving me trouble is where the dash goes under the windshield gasket.

[/ QUOTE ]
    The only way to remove this part is to cut it....its spot welded in many places clear across the vehicle along the lower lip of the windshield.

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Great!!! Should i cut it and re spot weld it or what. If i am going to go through all that trouble I should just make a custom dash

6. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

Buy a big "CK5" sticker to cover the hole! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If i am going to go through all that trouble I should just make a custom dash

[/ QUOTE ]

Of just weld in the patch in place while the dash is still in there /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

i had a hole cut in my dask by previous owner, i just welded it up in the truck? Am I missing something? Heck when I did mine the whole dash was still assembled and carpet was still in truck, though fireextinguisher was close at hand.....

9. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

My plan was to remove the piece and weld over the hole and then paint the whole thing. It would also be a good oppertunity to chase down a few wires. The fan switch has no power going to it. Among other electrical faults.

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My 82 GMC has the same problem--butcher that owned it chopped out the radio hole so he could put a slide in radio in--and he kept the radio! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif.I am going to just weld in a peice of another trucks dash from the boneyard,I've got my eye on a am/fm/cb factory delco one I can get for 30 bucks.It is a LOT of work to remove the whole dash(the steel part under the padding)as already stated,you have to drill out spot welds,and its a lot easier if the windsheild is out--I've watched 2 friends crack theirs while trying to get the dash out,and welding it back isnt easy either.You can get a lot better veiw of those wires if you open the glove box and pull the box down and swing the door all the way down,then you can get your head in there to see the heater resistor,and many other wires,also easier to change some of the dash bulbs thru the glove box hole,I've also had to remove my ashtray for better access to the back of the dash.I'd just weld in a patch for the radio if I were you--its alot easier.Maybe I should just get a slide in radio,then I wont have to do anything! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

11. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My 82 GMC has the same problem--butcher that owned it chopped out the radio hole so he could put a slide in radio in--and he kept the radio! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif.I am going to just weld in a peice of another trucks dash from the boneyard,I've got my eye on a am/fm/cb factory delco one I can get for 30 bucks.It is a LOT of work to remove the whole dash(the steel part under the padding)as already stated,you have to drill out spot welds,and its a lot easier if the windsheild is out--I've watched 2 friends crack theirs while trying to get the dash out,and welding it back isnt easy either.You can get a lot better veiw of those wires if you open the glove box and pull the box down and swing the door all the way down,then you can get your head in there to see the heater resistor,and many other wires,also easier to change some of the dash bulbs thru the glove box hole,I've also had to remove my ashtray for better access to the back of the dash.I'd just weld in a patch for the radio if I were you--its alot easier.Maybe I should just get a slide in radio,then I wont have to do anything! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If I was you I would get a slide-in radio. You can get a cheap cd player for about 60 bucks or a nice one for around 100 to 130.