Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

87 GMC 1500

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by KENNY, Apr 22, 2003.

1. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

I THINK I MAY HAVE FOUND WHAT I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR. HAVEN'T DONE ANYTHING BUT SPEAK TO THE OWNER BUT I'VE LOOKED AT THE TRUCK FROM BEHIND A FENCE. IT IS AN 87 GMC SUB 1500 (ACCORDING TO THE MARKINGS). I DON'T SEE ANY RUST, WHICH IS HUGE ++++ FACTOR IN MY DECISION. I CURRENTLY OWN A 84 BLAZER 4SPD . WHAT WOOULD BE INTERCHANGEABLE . I FIGURE EVERYTHING BUT JUST WANT TO BE SURE. OLD GUY WANTS 1800 ON FIRST OFFER. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

drove it and it runs very well. no headliner and i only found one rust spot under the rear passenger door and above the firewall. guy changed the carpet . does anyone here care to comment

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Here's my comment...stay away from rust. That's the only thing that worries me about my truck. I hate bodywork and rust-repair can get expensive when it comes time to take it to a shop. Not only do I not want my truck to look like a rusted piece of poo, but rust really screws with the structural integrity of the body and frame.
    For the most part everything is interchangeable. The '87 was the first year for the TBI injection though, so the engine fuel systems are different. But yes - axles, tranny/t-case, etc are interchangeable.

4. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

EVERY, suburban I have looked at in the north east has had some rot/rust to some extent. Look very carefully and know what you are getting into. If you don't mind a little rot then it may be OK. Just remember, rot is like cancer. Once you have a bit it just keeps spreading and there is NO way to stop it. You may be able to cover/hide/paint-over/cut off the visible rust, but it will always come back. I have learned to accept the rust as a part of life, and will until I get the time/money to go south and bring a clean one back and rhino line the entire thing. Sounds like a good deal to me. Try to look under the carpet. He may be trying to hide something. Good luck.

5. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Yah, you shoudl be able to look closely around the spare tire well and get a good idea if there's any rust history in the rear of the /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif. Also check the seals if it has barn doors.

6. KENNY

KENNY 1/2 ton status

he came down to 1400 but is holding tightly there. didn't check the spare though. thoough didn't find any rust underneath.